Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

gmillanow

How to plot line graphs in Power BI

I have a table with KPIs and I would like to create a line graph in order to spot a trend thought timeline.

The table is conformed by KPIs on the axis and Quarter data in the rest of the columns. Here is an example:

KPI           Q1    Q2    Q3    Q4    Q5    Q6

Revenue 100   200   300  400    500   600

Right now, what I've done is create a slicer just to filter every KPI. When I try to create the line graph I only get 1 dot per Q and I don't understand why.

Could someone please support?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gmillanow ,

What is your data model? Could please you describe your scene in more detail?

According to the data model you provide, it is not a dot in the line chart.

Vlianlmsft_0-1636095191567.png

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

If your data is shaped like that, it's going to be hard to work with since columns are mostly independent objects in Power BI.

Shaped like this will be much easier to work with:

AlexisOlson_0-1635865008513.png

I have 20 years of data each with 1000 lines so it is not practical to put the years in a column. I have been unable to chart this in Power BI and similarly just get a dot. I have been successful in charting this data in Excel using a pivot table and changing rows and columns in the graph. This is a fatal flaw in Power BI and means that I cannot use it unless someone has a workaround 

It's not practical to not reshape the data if you want to work with it easily. It's a simple unpivot operation in Power Query.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/unpivot-column

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.