Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Tarpan
Frequent Visitor

How to get percentile ranking

Hi all,

I am having a hard time figuring out a good way to do this so I am looking for some advice.

I have a measure for ranking values.  Lets say 1-100.  The total number of rows is variable based on the data, of course.

I would like to figure out where a row eixsts within a percentile... So, I want to create a new measure that calculates that row 9 is 9/100 = 9% (rank divided by highest value rank).  Ultimately the point is to sort the ranks into 10 based percentile groups.  Easy enough once I have the percent.

My approach has been to try to divide the current value by the maximum value of that measure, but I have tried a wide of different approaches but so far I have been unable to get that maximum value to divide by.

1, 1%

2, 2%

3, 3%

100, 100%

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
rajivraina
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I am also trying to get percentile ranks in a similar fashion and was wondering if you had ever solved or figured out this issue?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Tarpan,

I have a measure for ranking values.  Lets say 1-100.  The total number of rows is variable based on the data, of course.

Could you post the measure you're using for ranking values? It's better share a sample pbix file which can reproduce your issue in this case.Smiley Happy

In addition, I would suggest you to create a calculate column(not a measure) to get rank values for each row in this scenario. Then the solution provided by Thiyags should work.

Regards

Thanks for the feedback.  I will see if I can put together a sample. 

I tried producing a column instead of a measure but apparently I don't have enough memory to do that.

"The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory available for the application"

Total Rank1 = RANKX(ALL(companies[companies]),[Total Order Count])

Where Total Order Count is a measure that is a sum of orders.

This works without a problem as a measure, but I get the memory issue as a column. 

Hi @Tarpan,

Have you tried using RANK.EQ Function (DAX) to create the calculate column. The formula should like below:

Total Rank1 = RANK.EQ ( companies[orders], companies[orders] )

Regards

This ultimately returned simply '1' for every row...clearly I need to dig a bit deeper and learn a bit more about these functions and come back to this I think.  It seems like what I am trying to do is not as simplistic as I had assumed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are the (new?) PERCENTILEX.INC and related DAX functions of use - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn802531.aspx

They didn't seem to, but it could be that it is my understanding of these functions.

Thiyags
Helper II
Helper II

Capture.PNG

Lets assume above is my dataset

For this we need to create 2 measures.

First we want to find the max Rank.

MaxRank = CALCULATE(MAX(Percentile[Rank]),ALL(Percentile[Value]))

Then 2nd measure to divide the rank by that measure

PercentileRank = DIVIDE(SUM(Percentile[Rank]),[MaxRank])

So I certainly was trying this in an all-in-one calculation...but tried to seperate it out as a measure and ultimately hit the same issue.

MaxRank = CALCULATE(MAX(Percentile[Rank]),ALL(Percentile[Value]))

The error I am seeing back is: "Calculation error in measure 'Percentile[MaxRank]: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."

Perhaps the issue I am hitting is that there are multiple rows at that maximum value? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.