Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ddalton
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to get first value from multiple value LOOKUPVALUE function

Is it possible to get just one value from a multi-value LOOKUPVALUE result? (i.e., is there another function that can handle this?)

I have a table (Table1) that contains rows with non-unique ID values. I want to create a new column in a different table that looks for an ID in Table1 and returns its respective Value2 value. However, since there are multiple results for some (if not most or even all IDs) LOOKUPVALUE throws a "multiple result" error - as expected. 

I'm hoping to find a way to effectively perform the same search but to just return the first result it finds, rather than returning a multi-value result (or rather, return a multi-value result and then select just the first value). This would be sufficient for me since the ID and Value2 are always the same pair in this particular Table.  

Can I do this using LOOKUPVALUE and some clever DAX, or is there another function I can use? 

Table1

IDValue1Value2
04451.0AAA
04451.2AAA
08721.2BBB
09541.1CCC
09111.2DDD
09111.1DDD

Currently, if I just use the LOOKUPVALUE function to search for "0445" in the ID column of Table1 and return Value2 it will return two results: [(0445, AAA), (0445, AAA)]. 

I'm looking for a way for it to take just the first result of that array/multi-value result. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, @NickolajJessen, with your help (and similar threads on this community), I have this solution:

LOOKUPALT = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table1[Value2], TRUE()), FILTER(Table1, Table1[ID] = Table2[ID]))

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
NickolajJessen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

NickolajJessen_0-1657706423488.png

@NickolajJessen This is looking great! 

In the FIRSTNONBLANK function where we explicitly specify 'Table'[ID] = "0445" can we instead reference a column value? i.e., 'Table'[ID] = 'Table2'[ID]

Essentially, I'm trying to merge data from multiple tables and I'm using the ID that exists in both tables to fetch Value2 from Table1 and save it in a new column in Table2. 

Okay, @NickolajJessen, with your help (and similar threads on this community), I have this solution:

LOOKUPALT = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table1[Value2], TRUE()), FILTER(Table1, Table1[ID] = Table2[ID]))

Thanks, only difference I used ALLEXCEPT instead of FILTER.

Love this.   Thank you.   Question: can you think of any lower processor intensive ways to do this for big tables?   Maybe innerjoin somehow?

This is great, I can´t express how much the formula helped me!

JamesWick
Helper I
Helper I

The LookupValue function works best when you have only one value returned. if you have multiple values, then it will either return the result of <alternate result> if supplied, otherwise, it will return an error. Employee 31 = LOOKUPVALUE (DimEmployee [FirstName], DimEmployee [MiddleName], "R", "Not found or Multiple results")

Regards,
J Wick

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.