Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to filter a set of rows based on two overlapping filters? (more complicated than title suggests)

Hi
Please view the below screenshot of the data model to work with.

D_PBI_1-1695380680578.png

There are two tables Parent and Child. The join between them is based on the RecordID field. It is (should be) a 1-* cardinality.
The report will contain a table visual that includes fields from both the Parent and Child tables. A reason why I haven't merged the Child table into the Parent table is due to another page, in the same report, showing Child fields in a standalone manner, and not every Child record has a Parent record (bad data - see RecordID 7 for an example).

If I were to drag the fields from both tables, with the Parent table being the driver for this visual, then the table would look like the below:

D_PBI_6-1695382855440.png

I would like your help on the following.
The user should have a slicer to show either all records (so the all the records shown in the immediate above table). Or to show the relevant records which are those records that have an entry in both the Parent and Child tables (i.e. RecordID field present), and have a date in the specified timeframe. This specified timeframe will be set by a relative date slicer on the Date field.
Note: when I say all or relevant records, these records may still be filtered by any other slicers on the page. We just need to factor that into any DAX.

I'm thinking I need to 'enter data' to create a table to use as the slicer's contents, something like the below:

D_PBI_3-1695381608960.png

I will also need a date filter to allow the user to select the relative date, like the below:

D_PBI_4-1695381718546.png

Taking the dummy table (shown again, below). If the user chose 'All records' then all the rows below will be returned (barring no other slicer has been configured - i.e. a user selects Type = Temp, this would reduce the rows shown just to the last two).

D_PBI_6-1695382855440.png

If the user was to select 'Relevant records' and the relative date slicer was set to the next 12 months (always starting from day the report is used (i.e. TODAY() ) which is currently the 22/09/23) then I'd want to show the RecordIDs that fulfil those conditions. The expected rows shown would be:

D_PBI_5-1695382189624.png

Notice how at least one Child record, per RecordID, has a Date that falls in the next 12 months (from today being the 22/09/23). As this condition is met, I'd want all records with those RecordIDs to be shown regardless if the other Child records, for that RecordID, fall in the next 12 months or not. Again, these returned rows are subject to any other slicers being configured.

I hope this all makes sense. If you can help me achieve this, it will be much appreacited. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @D_PBI ,

Here's the result. Hope that helps.

vstephenmsft_0-1695619896445.png

vstephenmsft_1-1695619904350.png

You can check my attachment for more details.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @D_PBI ,

Here's the result. Hope that helps.

vstephenmsft_0-1695619896445.png

vstephenmsft_1-1695619904350.png

You can check my attachment for more details.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

@v-stephen-msft - It works as needed. I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks very much.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Bump. Is anybody able to advise? Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.