Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to extract text patterns from a summary / sentence ?

Hi

I have a sentence in a 'Summary"cell like,

Sl NoSummaryClosedTicket Num
1Your ticket REQ000111 is pendingNo 
2Your issue LMPT0000011 is ready to closeYes 

I need to find the pattern REQ & LMPT and extract REQ000111 and LMPT0000011, then write these values to 'Ticket Num' column.

Length of a REQ# number is 9 and LMPT# is 11. Each rows can have either REQ or LMPT mentioned somehwere in summary.

Expectation is that column 'Ticket number' should display the full ticket numbers like REQXXXXXX or LMPTXXXXXXX.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a way you can do it in Power Query.  I've made the following assumptions:

• REQ always have 6 numbers, to make it 9 characters long
  • LMPT always has 7 numbers, to make it 11 characters long

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("NcqxCoAgEADQXzludjj7h7aKipYQh6gjpNDwdOjvy6A3P2NQo8I55AjJrQcnGOuBiLTW4AQu9pvz+1u6gFYZrP7tRDJD0/YT0fdLj7xsN6QA6xmES2VBax8=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Sl No" = _t, Summary = _t, Closed = _t]),
    #"Added Summary Length" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Summary Length", each Text.Length([Summary]), Int64.Type),
    #"Added Ticket Num" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Summary Length", "Ticket Num", each if Text.PositionOf([Summary], "REQ") = -1 then 
	Text.Start(Text.End([Summary], [Summary Length] - Text.PositionOf([Summary], "LMPT")), 11) else 
	Text.Start(Text.End([Summary], [Summary Length] - Text.PositionOf([Summary], "REQ")), 9), type text)
in
    #"Added Ticket Num"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a way you can do it in Power Query.  I've made the following assumptions:

• REQ always have 6 numbers, to make it 9 characters long
  • LMPT always has 7 numbers, to make it 11 characters long

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("NcqxCoAgEADQXzludjj7h7aKipYQh6gjpNDwdOjvy6A3P2NQo8I55AjJrQcnGOuBiLTW4AQu9pvz+1u6gFYZrP7tRDJD0/YT0fdLj7xsN6QA6xmES2VBax8=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Sl No" = _t, Summary = _t, Closed = _t]),
    #"Added Summary Length" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Summary Length", each Text.Length([Summary]), Int64.Type),
    #"Added Ticket Num" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Summary Length", "Ticket Num", each if Text.PositionOf([Summary], "REQ") = -1 then 
	Text.Start(Text.End([Summary], [Summary Length] - Text.PositionOf([Summary], "LMPT")), 11) else 
	Text.Start(Text.End([Summary], [Summary Length] - Text.PositionOf([Summary], "REQ")), 9), type text)
in
    #"Added Ticket Num"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I copied this code into another data sheet ( to find request and ticket)  and chnaged the qyery to match the new search items.

ONce I click done from the advanced editor,  still  loaed same data I attached above. Its not showing the data in new sheet (new pbix for anohter file)

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("NcqxCoAgEADQXzludjj7h7aKipYQh6gjpNDwdOjvy6A3P2NQo8I55AjJrQcnGOuBiLTW4AQu9pvz+1u6gFYZrP7tRDJD0/YT0fdLj7xsN6QA6xmES2VBax8=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Issue key" = _t, Summary = _t, Assignee = _t]),
Text.Start(Text.End([Summary], [Summary Length] - Text.PositionOf([Summary], "REQUEST")), 13) else
Text.Start(Text.End([Summary], [Summary Length] - Text.PositionOf([Summary], "TICKET")), 10), type text)
in
#"Added Ticket Num"

Anonymous
Not applicable

The source row in my code uses the "Enter Data" to create a temporary table.  What you need to do is to understand what the code does and apply it to your own source row.  You'll likely need to update parts of the code to connect into whatever your existing power query code is.

The code could be cleaned up a little too, but its more important you get the general idea of what its doing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OOh yes!! I got it. 

Why did I pasted source also , thanks for reminding.

Anonymous
Not applicable

omg!!! that worked!!

Thank you so much!!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.