Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gaccardo
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to eliminate a circular dependency?

I added the following column to a table named 'User Story'.  It uses a relationship that is disabled because it is redundant and only useful for this particular set of calculations.  The values calculated for each row are correct.

Count of Failing Tests = 
  COUNTROWS (
    CALCULATETABLE (
      'Test Case Most Recent Result',
      USERELATIONSHIP ('User Story'[WorkItemId], '_Relation'[WorkItemId]),
      'Test Case Most Recent Result'[Outcome] = "Failed"
    )
  )

The problem comes when I add a nearly identical column.  The only difference is that instead of results with an outcome of "Failed", I want to calculate the ones with an outcome of "Passed." 

Count of Passing Tests = 
  COUNTROWS (
    CALCULATETABLE (
      'Test Case Most Recent Result',
      USERELATIONSHIP ('User Story'[WorkItemId], '_Relation'[WorkItemId]),
      'Test Case Most Recent Result'[Outcome] = "Passed"
    )
  )

When I try to add this column, I get the following message about circular dependencies.

A circular dependency was detected: User Story[Count of Passing Tests], User Story[Count of Failing Tests], User Story[Count of Passing Tests].

How is this circular?  Is there a general pattern for counting the rows in a related table, specifying both a relationship and a filter? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @gaccardo,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at following link who told about circular dependency and how to prevent it appears:

Avoiding circular dependency errors in DAX

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @gaccardo,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at following link who told about circular dependency and how to prevent it appears:

Avoiding circular dependency errors in DAX

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.