Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SueM
Frequent Visitor

How to copy PowerrBI desktop files form one computer to another

I have several PwerBI files which I created on a remote desktop for our client. I would like to be able to copy these to my computer as the remote connection will not be available, and I do not wnat to lose these. Is there a way to do this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Upload them to a cloud service in which you have an account (Onedrive, Dropbox, Google Drive...) and then you can access them anywhere. 
you might lose the link to the source files mind you, so you might need to change the source file links and/or upload any local files linked to the PBIX files (or refrain from refreshing the data)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @SueM

In addition to  PaulDBrown's reply, publishing your report to Power BI Service is a good choice. You can see the report in Power BI Service, download the report which you have edit access or share your report to other users. 

For reference: What is the Power BI service?

Firstly, you need to sign up a Power BI account.

For reference:

Tutorial: Get started creating in the Power BI service

When you have a power bi account, sign in to desktop, then you can publish the report to Power BI Service.

1.png

For reference: Publish datasets and reports from Power BI Desktop

Then you can sign in Power BI Service by this account in your PC and download the report in your PC.

2.png

For reference:

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop (preview)

Or you can send your report from remote desktop to your PC by Outlook or other mails.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @SueM

In addition to  PaulDBrown's reply, publishing your report to Power BI Service is a good choice. You can see the report in Power BI Service, download the report which you have edit access or share your report to other users. 

For reference: What is the Power BI service?

Firstly, you need to sign up a Power BI account.

For reference:

Tutorial: Get started creating in the Power BI service

When you have a power bi account, sign in to desktop, then you can publish the report to Power BI Service.

1.png

For reference: Publish datasets and reports from Power BI Desktop

Then you can sign in Power BI Service by this account in your PC and download the report in your PC.

2.png

For reference:

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop (preview)

Or you can send your report from remote desktop to your PC by Outlook or other mails.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Upload them to a cloud service in which you have an account (Onedrive, Dropbox, Google Drive...) and then you can access them anywhere. 
you might lose the link to the source files mind you, so you might need to change the source file links and/or upload any local files linked to the PBIX files (or refrain from refreshing the data)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.