Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Aurora-BI
Helper I
Helper I

How to convert text string like 25012023 to date value

Hi All, 

I need help converting text strings into a date value. My data set has all the date values formatted like "27022024", which is causing an error when I try to use the control to change the data type.

AuroraBI_0-1709051023098.png

AuroraBI_1-1709051048851.png

Does anyone know how I can insert a couple / or - so I can get they data type to change? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

In Power Query you can split your column, first split out the left two items so that you have your days, then split out the left two items again so you have month (make sure all three fields (day, month, and year are all text format), then add a custom column named date and insert your field for [MonthField] & "/" & [DayField] & "/" & [YearField]. Then, you can change this to date and remove your other columns.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

In Power Query you can split your column, first split out the left two items so that you have your days, then split out the left two items again so you have month (make sure all three fields (day, month, and year are all text format), then add a custom column named date and insert your field for [MonthField] & "/" & [DayField] & "/" & [YearField]. Then, you can change this to date and remove your other columns.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.