Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ckwongak
Frequent Visitor

How to by default restricted access by Row Level Security

I am now having a user list inside Power BI. And I am using the USERPRINCIPALNAME() dax function in the row level security filtering so that users can only see data of their country in the table. However, if the user is not assigned to a role, they can see all data, is it possible to by default restricted access to them so that they can see nothing before a role is assigned to them?

Also I would like some of the user to able to see multiple country data, is this configurable too?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ckwongak ,

For roles that are not assigned, he will not see any data. You can test with a user who is not in the user list. Below is the tutorial.

Validate the roles within Power BI Desktop

If you want to some of the user to able to see multiple country data, it's possible and you need to connect information from multiple countries with users.

For dynamic RLS, here're some helpful blogs for your reference.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Dynamic Row Level Security with Power BI Made Simple - RADACAD

Dynamic Row Level Security with Manager Level Access in Power BI - RADACAD

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
klopdaddy
Regular Visitor

Has anyone found a solution to this question? I am looking to have a data table hidden as the default view and add folks to roles to allow them to see data

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ckwongak ,

For roles that are not assigned, he will not see any data. You can test with a user who is not in the user list. Below is the tutorial.

Validate the roles within Power BI Desktop

If you want to some of the user to able to see multiple country data, it's possible and you need to connect information from multiple countries with users.

For dynamic RLS, here're some helpful blogs for your reference.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Dynamic Row Level Security with Power BI Made Simple - RADACAD

Dynamic Row Level Security with Manager Level Access in Power BI - RADACAD

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @ckwongak ,

Yes if the user us not assigned to a role, then there would be no filtering for him to see specific things.

Regarding the user seeing many countries, you should assign the countries to him.

check this documentation from microsoft for more details on RLS https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-rls

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Yes, but I would like to look for the vice versa, if the user is not on the list, he will see nothing. How to do this in Power BI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.