Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JohnJoe123
Helper II
Helper II

How to Sync X-Axis Scroll Bars across 2 Charts that share the same X-Axis Field?

Hi Everyone,

A Link to my Power BI File can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LQlIHWVL646E2uULvVH3gu2YH8D__OK9/view?usp=drive_link

I work in a Factory that makes Microchips.

We manufacture these Microchips on one Machine called 'ISP'.

Sometimes, when this Machine is processing the Microchips, it Logs a Fault or 'Error Code'.

I'm currently working a Project that examines Statistics for the ISP Machine for each Calendar Date - i.e. on 1st March 2024, 2nd March 2024 etc.

The 2 Parameters that I am looking at are:

- Running Time of the ISP Machine on each Date (in Minutes)

- How Many Error Codes Occur on Each Date

I have one Query in my Power Desktop File that contains all the Information that I need.

I currently have 2 Graphs on the same Tab in my Power Bi file:

- The First Graph is a 'Stacked Column Chart' - it Shows Date (X-Axis) v Machine Running Time (Y-Axis)

- The Second Graph is a 'Line & Clustered Column Chart' - it Shows Date (X-Axis) v Error Count (Y-Axis)

An Image of the 2 Graphs is shown below:

JohnJoe123_1-1714335241707.png

Both graphs share the same X-Axis field.

Both graphs also default to showing the earliest data on the Left-Hand Side of the Graph.

Because there is over a year's worth of Data now - there is too much for either graph to fit all X-Axis values at once - and so a scroll bar is used to scroll towards the right hand side to obtain data for the latest Calendar Dates.

So for example, the Oldest Data is from July 2023 and both graphs are configured to a width that shows about 30 Days worth of data. So if you want to see data for April 2024, you have to drag the scroll bar in either graph to the right-hand-side.

Currently, when I move the X-Axis Scroll Bar in one graph, the other graph is not affected.

I would like the graphs to work such that when the x-axis scroll bar in one graph is moved, that it moves the x-axis scroll bar in the other graph by the same amount and same direction.

So for example, if I was to move the scroll bar in the first graph to December 2023, I'd like the second graph to automatically 'jump' or scroll to that point. In other words - the two graphs x-axes would always be aligned no matter where on the x-axis you scroll for either one.

Is this Possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @JohnJoe123 

If you want to sync your x axis try to set minimum and max values for x axis in both the graphs. and also y axis.

Uzi2019_0-1714389585589.pngUzi2019_1-1714389599846.png

But auto sync is quite not possible with multiple graphs.

Or you can  try with Small Multiple option 

Uzi2019_2-1714389759555.png

I hope I answered your question!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @JohnJoe123 

If you want to sync your x axis try to set minimum and max values for x axis in both the graphs. and also y axis.

Uzi2019_0-1714389585589.pngUzi2019_1-1714389599846.png

But auto sync is quite not possible with multiple graphs.

Or you can  try with Small Multiple option 

Uzi2019_2-1714389759555.png

I hope I answered your question!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

How about this?

lbendlin_0-1714339824446.png

Hi @lbendlin ,

Thank you for this,

However, I'd like to keep the 2 Graphs separate.

This is because the actual file that I am using looks like the below image:

JohnJoe123_0-1714382688944.png

The Second Graph (the one with a Count of Errors) actually  has another Y-Axis Parameter known as MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures). So there is no room for another Y-Axis here for Machine Run Time. (The Reason I did not state this in my Original Post is because I wanted to keep it Simple)

Is there a way to Sync the X-Axis Scroll Bars across the 2 Separate Graphs?

Try Small Multiples.

What do you mean?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.