Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vels

How to Sort By Rank on PBI Visuals

I am able to achieve sort on Table/Grid visual

When i switch to Bar/Line chart and place rank in "Tooltip" section - it converts the "Rank" column as "Count of Rank" or not allowing me to remove "Do not summarize" for this scenario - why ? 

Any reason to fix this ? Please advise.

Vels_0-1675489068400.png

Example for Table : 

Vels_2-1675489114988.png

Example : for Visuals 

Vels_1-1675489087699.png

Vels_3-1675489133939.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vels ,

The Bar/Line chart visual is used for displaying summarize data. You can image the Bar/Line chart Axis property is the column group of the matrix, Legend property is the Row group of the matrix. If there were more than one record for the same intersection of the column and row groups, we need to aggregate the values. So there are many aggregate functions for summarize the data instead of "Do not Summarize".

The "Default Summarization: Do Not Summarize" option apply to the field itself. Once we place the filed into visuals, it will depend on the visual design to use this. In chart visual, "Do Not Summarize" is not available but in a table visual, it can support. 

In your scenario, if your sample data contain one record for each Axis values, use the SUM()/MAX()/MIN() function will also display the raw data. But if there are duplicate record for each Axis, SUM will aggregate the values.

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vels ,

According to my knowledge, Table visual and Bar/Line chart are not the same. Since you have to choose the right aggregation for your values when you use Bar/Line chart, in other words your data can't be displayed in this way by don't summarize, so when you add the Rank field to tooltips, you have to choose the right aggregation for it too, you can consider aggregation like sum\max or recreate a measure for it.

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So, is it safe to say - it's a limitation in Power BI to allow "Do not summarize" on columns in grid vs not possible with visuals ? 

Vels

Apologies - by mistake clicked "Accept as solution" 

I have tried with both String & Number - same issues exist for both data type

Vels_0-1675533573877.pngVels_1-1675533619241.png

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Vels ,

which format does the column have?

This usually happens when the values are saved as string and not as number.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Blog: WhatTheFact.bi
Follow me: twitter.com/DenSelimovic

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.