Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

How to Optimize this DAX to Count Distinct Date by User

Hello,

I have this DAX, which is used to count how many days the user failed. But the issue is, this DAX ran very slow and causes "Theres not enough memory to complete this operation" error.

Count Failed =
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[date],
FILTER(SUMMARIZE(Table, Table[user], Table[date], "Failed", [Failed Count]), [Failed Count] <> BLANK()))

Failed Count measure is a measure i use to count how many user failed in the category, with some conditions like targets.

The Table currently has 5million rows, and i know the FILTER function causes the performance of the visual to be slow.

Is there a way that i can optimize this DAX?

3 REPLIES 3
MBernalBI
Frequent Visitor

Hi @aidelapplicate ,

Could you attach an example of the table that you work it and the DAX code of the measure Failed Count?

Thanks!

Hello,

My table looks like this

aidelapplicate_0-1690424917504.png

and the target for sales is 100.

Here is my code for Failed Count somewhat looks like this

Failed Count =
Calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[User]), FILTER(SUMMARIZE(Table, Table[User], SUM(Sales) =< 100)))

This DAX also i think can be optimized more to avoid the use of FILTER and summarize the whole 5mil row table

Hi @aidelapplicate 

You can consider to create two measures

e.g 

Failed_sum = CALSULATE(SUM(Table[Sales]),ALLEXCEPT(Table,Table[User]))
Failed_Count=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[User]),[Failed_sum ]<=50)

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.