Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ElpatoDBA
Helper II
Helper II

How extract information from different SQL Server instances

Hi community.

I have finished up my report but I have more than 20 instances on-premises databases. I wondering if exists any procedure to extract from the same file pbix or pbit file the info from my 20 SQL Server instances.

Note: My SQL Server servers are different flavours of SQL.

I will really appreciate your help if someone has done the same.

Regards;

Jairo Suarez

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ElpatoDBA , You want append data from 20 Connection or change connection and check.

If this looking to the same data you can change the connection using edit datasources for the same version. 

Check here same type and different type of data source using edit query

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-change-data-source-of-existing-report-in-power-bi/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ElpatoDBA , You want append data from 20 Connection or change connection and check.

If this looking to the same data you can change the connection using edit datasources for the same version. 

Check here same type and different type of data source using edit query

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-change-data-source-of-existing-report-in-power-bi/

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ElpatoDBA - Sorry, not sure what you mean. You can connect to all of those SQL Servers in a single Power BI file. Sorry, can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, thanks

I have one report done and it is connected to one single SQL Server instance until here everything works well.

Now I need to extract the same report with different instances into my on-premises servers, the question is I need to copy and paste twenty times the same pbit file or pbix file? Also, I need to maintain the information in the cloud refreshed to admin purposes.

Regards;

Jairo Suarez

@ElpatoDBA - Well, it depends. If you want to maintain 20 reports, 1 for each customer/database, then yes. Alternatively, you would create 20 connections within your single PBIX file. You would disable load for all 20 of these queries. Then you would use an Append query to append them all together. Then you would implement row level security (RLS) to make sure each customer only sees their data.

Those are the 2 options. Option 2 is far better in my opinion, 1 report to maintain.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg.

Yes, I want to maintain the same number of connections with one report file. Even I found something interesting Power BI Premium Metrics app, and my reports would be applicable to do so. My reports show the different status and information from SQL Server servers and now I am in a beta stage and I don't discard adding more things. I just simply use it and play with "sys" and DM views and project them into the report. Why not, I would like to acquire the information to put into the Power BI app "store". For Database Administrators would be so useful.

Thanks a lot

Jairo Suarez

Hi

Seems like that last post is the thing that I am looking for. I going to start to read and will back to you and let you know. For now 1M of thanks.

Regards;

Jairo Suarez

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.