Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

QQQ
Advocate I
Advocate I

How does ETL process map to MS Excel Power Pivot (Data Model)

Moderator please move to appropriate forum if required.

I use MS Excel 2016 for data visualization.

Can understand Extract means saving Excel data onto a spreadsheet and Transforming data means manipulating it in Power Query.

**QUESTION:**

But if I decide to load data to Power Pivot (Data Model) doesn't that fall back into Transform because you can

1. Create Calendar Table

2. Create Measures (or Calculate Columns if necessary)

Or does using Power Pivot (Data Model) fall under Data Modelling because you are no longer formatting, merging pre-existing data; rather you are creating new data (i.e. Calendar Table, Measures, etc)

Kindly clarify

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @QQQ,

Yes, your understanding is right. When we load date into Power Pivot model, we can't change the source data. You can't fall back to transform data. If you want to modify and merge data, please do all operations before loading it into Pivot model. And for power pivot forum, please post the cases to its forum.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @QQQ,

Yes, your understanding is right. When we load date into Power Pivot model, we can't change the source data. You can't fall back to transform data. If you want to modify and merge data, please do all operations before loading it into Pivot model. And for power pivot forum, please post the cases to its forum.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.