Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Nikitun
Frequent Visitor

How can I connect these tables?

Hi! I have this model in my project. All employees are in the dictionary table 1 at the top of the model. It has ID column with unique employee's ID values, and also NAME, E-MAIL and PHONE NUMBER columns. The same employees are arranged inOperator ID, Manager ID and Responsible ID columns of fact tables below (Leads, Deals, Activities). Moreover, each fact table contains of more than one of these columns. And for this reason Power BI doesn't allow connect Employee table with fact table by ID column twice (for example I can’t connect ID column of Employee table with both Operator ID and Responsible ID columns of Lead table).

1.png

Безымянный.png

So I calculated tables 2, 3 and 4 by filtering table 1, and connected them to fact tables. Tables 2-4 have same columns as table 1, but in general less rows number, because as I said earlier, each employee is not an operator, manager or responsible at the same time.

2.png3.png4.png

I can use 2-4 in slicers for filtering data from fact tables. But I cant create slicer filter with the list of all employees. Instead, I have to create three slicers for filtering by operators, by managers or by responsible separatly. I tried to connect table 1 with tables 2,3,4, but PowerBi allows only one connection with one of 2-4 tables. And I am stuck. (
How can I connect 1 with 2,3,4? Is it problem of PowerBI or my way is completely wrong? ) Thanks!
p.s. Sorry for not perfect English.

1 REPLY 1
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Nikitun 

I take it table 1 has the relevant field to identify whether they are "operators", "managers" etc..

If so, there's no need to create table 2 to 4. You can have a single dimension table connected to your fact tables, and when you set up your slicers, you can select the filed which identifies the "type of employee" in the filter pane to only show "operators", "managers" or whatever.

Does that help?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.