Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

spaturu3234
Frequent Visitor

How Do I Sort Text Columns

I have a column of descriptions , How Do I Sort that column ? So that I can compare with Previous value to identify multiple keys

ID    Desc

1      Apple

2      Ball

3      Cat

4      Apple

5      Cat

I need to sort this column:

ID      Desc

1        Apple

4        Apple

2        Ball

3        Cat

5        Cat

Final Output 

ID       Desc        CalColumn

1         Apple        1,4

2         Ball            2,6

3         Cat             NULL

OR

ID    Desc              CalColumn

1      Apple                 X

2      Ball                     NULL

3      Cat                      X

4      Apple                  X

5      Cat                      X

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@spaturu3234

Hi,

Sorting will be easy. Click dropdown of the column and choose Sort Ascending in Query Editor. We also can add an index to keep the new order. Could you tell me the mean of the output? How Do I Sort Text Columns .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi,

That all depends on the output you want. Dax has some funtions to do sorting work. But they don't work the way like sort here. Such as Rankx, TopN. 

Best Regards!

Dale.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@spaturu3234

Hi,

Sorting will be easy. Click dropdown of the column and choose Sort Ascending in Query Editor. We also can add an index to keep the new order. Could you tell me the mean of the output? How Do I Sort Text Columns .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Can I do that in Dax ?

Hi,

That all depends on the output you want. Dax has some funtions to do sorting work. But they don't work the way like sort here. Such as Rankx, TopN. 

Best Regards!

Dale.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.