Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

psorel
Helper I
Helper I

Historical table and new arrivals and new leavers

I need for an indicator, to calculate and display the number of newcomers and new leavers starting from a table
similar to the attached one. I would like to be able to display this data month by month and since the current year.
I still have trouble understanding the different context provided by DAX functions and can't get the expected result.

psorel_0-1683014381677.png

Cordially,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @psorel ,

Please try:

Nb newcomers = 
var _a = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'[Date]),[Date]<SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date])),[Date])
var _b = EXCEPT(SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"NDC",[NDC]),SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Date]=_a),"NDC",[NDC]))
return IF(ISBLANK(_a),0,COUNTROWS(_b))

Nb leavers = 
var _a = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'[Date]),[Date]<SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date])),[Date])
var _b = EXCEPT(SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Date]=_a),"NDC",[NDC]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"NDC",[NDC]))

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_0-1683682495607.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @psorel ,

The var _a is used to get the max date before current date.

Then var _b use the EXCEPT function to compare the before and current NDC

Then Countrows will give you the number of the difference.

Since the earliest date is not preceded by a day, use if statement to change the blank value to 0.

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @psorel ,

Please try:

Nb newcomers = 
var _b = EXCEPT(SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"NDC",[NDC]),SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Date]=_a),"NDC",[NDC]))

Nb leavers = 
var _b = EXCEPT(SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Date]=_a),"NDC",[NDC]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"NDC",[NDC]))

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_0-1683682495607.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

Hi @v-jianboli-msft 
Thank you it works , 

is it possible to have an explanation? I'm still struggling to understand the notion of filter/row context introduced by some DAX functions

Best regards,

PSOREL

Hi @psorel ,

The var _a is used to get the max date before current date.

Then var _b use the EXCEPT function to compare the before and current NDC

Then Countrows will give you the number of the difference.

Since the earliest date is not preceded by a day, use if statement to change the blank value to 0.

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

psorel
Helper I
Helper I

Hello, 

I would like to obtain a table visual in pbi like this : 

psorel_1-1683619750829.png

At the 31/01/2023 -> there is 4 newcomers compared to 31/12/2023 ( E,F,G,H) and 4 leavers ( I, J,K,L )

Same thing by comparing the data of february and january.

Sorry but pbix file is not supported here. 

psorel_2-1683620325177.png

Hi,

Share data in a format that can be pasted in an MS Excel file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @psorel ,

Could you please explain in detail how to determine new arrivals and new leavers? I am not sure how to determine them just by your previous description.

Sorry for that the information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please share more details to help us clarify your scenario?

Please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.