cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric is Generally Available. Browse Fabric Presentations. Work towards your Fabric certification with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

craig811
Helper III
Helper III

Help with formula

Hi ,

A member of the forum, kindly provided me the following forumla:Column = IF(ISERROR(FIND(LEFT([Transaction Number],FIND("-",[Transaction Number])-1),[Line Description])),0,1)

However , how do I update it to look in all of the rows of column:Line Description? The issue I have is the the value in column:Transaction Number maybe on a different row in column:Line Description.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@craig811 ,

You may take a look at the post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DAX-search-in-column-and-retuen-a-result/m-p/572635#M270471

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@craig811 Please provide some sample test data and expected output to provide an accurate solution.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Could I use the 'Earlier' function with the IF statement to look and the entire column for a match instead of looking at just the current row?

Thank you for the reply :

Please see the below:

As you can see W1173778 is in colunm 'Line Description' but on a different row then colunm' Transaction Number' . The formula above will not pick this up and will show '0' instead of '1' for match.

sample data.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI November 2023 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - November 2023

Check out the November 2023 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Power BI Fabric Summit Carousel

The largest Power BI and Fabric virtual conference

130+ sessions, 130+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI and Fabric. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors