Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anders_G
Helper I
Helper I

Help with Date_request in Date.IsInPreviousNMonths

Hi,

I'm trying to manage my data imports with date filters. I want to import X months in the past from the previous year. I've read you can change the date_request in the Date.IsInPreviousNMonths([date_request], 2) function.

I've tried creating a custom date query from a blank query and giving it today's date one year in the past. I've named the query Datefilter.

Anders_G_0-1668414941774.png

My custom function then looks like this.

= Table.SelectRows(Dataset_(LY)_View, each Date.IsInPreviousNMonths(Datefilter, 2))

However, it doesn't return any data. What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @Anders_G 

Accoding to your description, you want to filter the previous N months od the last year. Right?

I mean this , you can put this in "Advanced Editor" in Power Query Editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Tc3BDQAhCETRXjib4ODqQi3G/ttYJJrl+vIzMydJFWEwqBBolQsu3UnkGsLGtpbQGLoNTwrrCZEsHsYPnc3h1SOw2HfS5lPrAw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", (x)=>if Duration.Days(Date.AddDays(Date.From(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),-365)-x[Date]) >=0 and  Duration.Days(Date.AddDays(Date.From(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),-365)-x[Date]) <=60  then 1 else -1          )
in
    #"Added Custom"

The table is like this:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1668562484558.png

Then we can filter the [Custom]=1 then we will meet your need .

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anders_G 

The "Date.IsInPreviousNMonths" function is automatically compared with the current time of the system, and the comparison date cannot be customized.

For more information, you can refer to:
Date.IsInPreviousNMonths - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn

If you want to  import X months in the past from the previous year .  I think you need to calculate the days between two days and then compare the days to filter your table.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you for the clarification.

If you want to  import X months in the past from the previous year .  I think you need to calculate the days between two days and then compare the days to filter your table.

I would be very grateful if you could explain the process in more detail. I have no real knowledge of M or SQL. I mostly copy and paste what I can find on this forum. 

Hi , @Anders_G 

Accoding to your description, you want to filter the previous N months od the last year. Right?

I mean this , you can put this in "Advanced Editor" in Power Query Editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Tc3BDQAhCETRXjib4ODqQi3G/ttYJJrl+vIzMydJFWEwqBBolQsu3UnkGsLGtpbQGLoNTwrrCZEsHsYPnc3h1SOw2HfS5lPrAw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", (x)=>if Duration.Days(Date.AddDays(Date.From(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),-365)-x[Date]) >=0 and  Duration.Days(Date.AddDays(Date.From(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),-365)-x[Date]) <=60  then 1 else -1          )
in
    #"Added Custom"

The table is like this:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1668562484558.png

Then we can filter the [Custom]=1 then we will meet your need .

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.