Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mork
Helper V
Helper V

Help with DAX

Hello all,

I have a table that shows work per month per resource per department per country. The table looks something like bellow.

Month          Resource      ResourceDept       Work Department            Country            Work  

1/16                  John            ResDept.1             Dept. 1                        Country 1          40

1/16                 John             ResDept.1             Dept. 2                        Country 1           40

1/16                 john               ResDept.1                                                                          40

1/16                Jim                  ResDept.2           Dept. 2                        country 2             40

2/16                Jim                 ResDept.2            Dept. 1                         country 1            40

2/16                 John              ResDept.1             Dept. 2                        country 2           40

When there is a row with blank Department and country is non chargeable work (administrative, travelling etc)

I'm trying to create two tables that will look something like bellow. The first table I want to show data of the previous month, and th second table data of the current month. the layout of both tables will be the same.

Country 1                          Country 2                                country 3                   

Resource         Dept.1   Dept. 2    Dept.3     Dept. 1  Dept.2    Dept.3      Dept.1 Dept.2 Dept.3      

John                  %           %             %                         %                                                                   

Jim                                   %                          %                          %                     %                                        

Basically I want a table that will show me the distribution of each resource's work in each country and each department in percentage. I can recreate the table with my current data, but how can I turn that data into percentage using DAX?

and also how can I have two seperate tables one for the current and one for the previous month? I guess I can achieve both of these using DAX. 

For example I want to be able to see in previous month in what percentage my resources worked in each country and dept. and compare that to the current month.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry - I should have been a little more clear.

Whatever you want to drive the calculation of the full 100% needs to be in the ALLEXCEPT exclusion.....i.e.: 

DIVIDE( [Work Total], CALCULATE( [Work Total], ALLEXCEPT( Table1, Table1[Resource], Table1[Month])), 0)

If you wanted it to be treated differently based on what/if things were filtered, you could use an IF or SWITCH if you had multiple conditions....i.e. IF( ISFILTERED( Table[Column]) or IF( ISCROSSFILTERED( Table[Column]

powerdax.com

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I would do multiple calculations. First, Sum the hours.

Total Hours = SUM(Table[Hours])

Total Hours Last Month = CALCULATE([Total Hours], DATEADD(Date Table[Date Key], -1, Month))

Hours Growth % = DIVIDE([Total Hours], [Total Hours Last Month]) -- be sure to format this as a percentage in the ribbon.

Use your Matrix Rows and Visual Axis to seperate by month.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@kcantor Sorry but I don't understand what this will do exactly. What should I put at the DATEADD function?

And also if I understand correctly this will show me the previous month. which is good, but how can I get the percentage per resource too and not for all the resources combined?

mork
Helper V
Helper V

I tried the following formula in a measure which kinda worked.

Percentage= SUM(Table[Work])/ CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Work]);ALL(Table))

I can see the percentage per country and department and resource though. But thats not what I want I want each resource's work to add up to 100%. Like bellow.

Country 1                          Country 2                                country 3                   

Resource         Dept.1   Dept. 2    Dept.3     Dept. 1  Dept.2    Dept.3      Dept.1 Dept.2 Dept.3      

John                 20 %        20%         20%                     40%                                                                 (=100%)  

Jim                                   40%                          20%                   30%                    10%                        (=100%)

Currently what I managed to do is this:

John                  5%          5%         20%                     20%                                                                 (=50%)  

Jim                                   10%                          20%                   10%                    10%                        (=50%)

And I also haven't figured a way to have only the previous month or the current month shown. I could use a timeline slicer but at any given time I only want to see the current and previous month and not having to select the months myself.

Hey mork - basically, you need to use ALLEXCEPT and specify the Resource column:

Work Total:=SUM([Work])

Resource %:=DIVIDE( [Work Total], CALCULATE( [Work Total], ALLEXCEPT( Table1, Table1[Resource])), 0)

For showing only the current month and previous month, the easiest way would be to add a calculated column (TRUE/FALSE - typically on the date table) that would flag the rows if the dates were in the current/previous month.  Add that calculated column as a filter and flag as TRUE.

PowerDAX

powerdax.com

@PowerDAX Thank you!!!! That worked!!! could you please though further elaborate on how to do the previous and current month?

For example, if your month column is the first of the month, you would add a calculated column with something like this:

=IF([Month]=DATE(YEAR(NOW()), MONTH(NOW()), 1) || [Month] = EDATE(DATE(YEAR(NOW()), MONTH(NOW()), 1),-1) , TRUE(), FALSE())

This says if the month date (i.e. 4/1/2016) = the first of the current month or the first of last month, flag it as true, otherwise false.  You would then add that column as a filter at whatever level you required it (i.e. visual - chart only, page - full page - or report - all pages).

powerdax.com

@PowerDAX I managed to create the two flag colums and now I can filter the data! The only problem tha still remains is the percentage when I filter for a specific month. Any clue on why it doesn't show up correctly? 

Isn't there anyone else that can help me out? Just to recap, I have this formula

DIVIDE( [Work Total], CALCULATE( [Work Total], ALLEXCEPT( Table1, Table1[Resource], Table1[Month])), 0)

That gives me the bellow matrix visual:

John                 20 %        20%         20%                     40%                                                                 (=100%)  

Jim                                   40%                          20%                   30%                    10%                        (=100%)

When I try to filter that for a month though I get something like bellow:

John                 10 %        2%           5%                       15%                                                                 (=32%)  

Jim                                   20%                          10%                   10%                    5%                        (=45%)

What I want is to have percentages that add up to 100% for each resource no matter how I filter the timeline. That way I will be able to see the distribution of the resources in a specific month, in specific quarter or even yearly.

My original dataset looks like bellow:

Month          Resource      ResourceDept       Work Department            Country            Work  

1/16                  John            ResDept.1             Dept. 1                        Country 1          40

1/16                 John             ResDept.1             Dept. 2                        Country 1           40

1/16                 john               ResDept.1                                                                          40

1/16                Jim                  ResDept.2           Dept. 2                        country 2             40

2/16                Jim                 ResDept.2            Dept. 1                         country 1            40

2/16                 John              ResDept.1             Dept. 2                        country 2           40

Nevermind, I figured it out. I was filtering from the wrong table...

@PowerDAX Also your solution isn't 100% right. It creates the a correct percentage when I have the whole timeline selected on the timeline slicer. If I choose a single month the percentages don't add up to 100% per resource.

Sorry - I should have been a little more clear.

Whatever you want to drive the calculation of the full 100% needs to be in the ALLEXCEPT exclusion.....i.e.: 

If you wanted it to be treated differently based on what/if things were filtered, you could use an IF or SWITCH if you had multiple conditions....i.e. IF( ISFILTERED( Table[Column]) or IF( ISCROSSFILTERED( Table[Column]

powerdax.com

@PowerDAX Adding the [month] column to the allexcept function nfortunately doesn't work. When I filter for a month the percentages for each resource still don't add up to 100%. 

For example I have a timeline slicer and when the whole range of months is selected each resources percentage adds up to 100%. But when I select a specific month the percentage gets "sliced" too. I want the precentage to be recalculated for the selected month each time and each time to add up to 100% for each resource.

I'll now try the previous and current month solution you provided and let you know how it worked out. Just one thing though. I want the current and previous month separate and not together so I guess I'll just create two calculated columns. Also the format of my month column is mmm/yyyy

Thanks for your help so far! I really appreciate it!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mork  and If you want to exclude Blank Work Departments

Work Total = CALCULATE (SUM[WORK]), Table1[Work Department]<>"")

Resource%.png

@Sean  I don't want to exclude the blanks. What I want though is to have them show at the same table but not under a blank column but under the resource department column.

For example something like this.

Resource         Dept.1   Dept. 2    Dept.3     Dept. 1  Dept.2    Dept.3      Dept.1 Dept.2 Dept.3       ResDept.1        ResDept.2 

John                 20 %        20%         20%                     30%                                                                     10%

Jim                                   40%                          20%                   20%                    10%                                                    10%

mork
Helper V
Helper V

No one?? I just want the formula for the percentage of the work per country per department!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.