Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MbProg
Helper II
Helper II

Getting Error "The user was not Authorized" when trying to connect via ODBC

I try to connect via ODBC to my database, but I am getting the Error Message "The user was not authorized" although the user name and password are correct and I am getting my data from the same data source with the same name and password via ODBC in Excel and it is working fine.

So please can somebody help me and tell me how I can get my data, and why I am getting this error message?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi MbProg,

Could you please elaborate more details about your scenario? We need to verify that what type of database you connect to and how you configure these settings in the following screenshot in Power BI Desktop.
Capture.JPG

Also we need to know how you configure the data source using ODBC Data Source Administrator, and please make sure that you test the data source successfully using this ODBC tool.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft We are using a database called Conzept16. It is not a widespread database, but it has an ODBC driver and we are able to import its data with ODBC in Microsoft Excel 2013 and it works great. And it worked with the previous version of Power BI.

But now with the new version of Power BI, I am getting an error message. I tried it with the 32bit version and 64bit version, but it does not work. First I was getting the message "The user was not authorized". But now after fixing some things, I am getting the following message:

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HYC00] [Simba][DSI] (20029) Function not supported."

Why do I get this error message due to the fact that Microsoft Excel 2013 is able to download the data correctly? What is this message expressing and what is the solution for it?

I try to import my data to Power BI via ODBC. My ODBC device is working correctly because I am able to import the data to Excel from the same database via ODBC. But when I try to import the data in Power BI, I receive the following error Message:

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HYC00] [Simba][DSI] (20029) Function not supported."

When googling around, the only hint I could get for error HYC00 was there is maybe a problem with the structure. Due to the fact that I am able to import the data in Excel and I was able to import the data in an older version of Power BI, I cannot believe that Power BI does not support my data.

So can somebody tell me why the new version of Power BI is not able to import my data and what this message is expressing and what the solution for it is?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.