Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amitksingh2003
Regular Visitor

Help with ADDCOLUMNS function

I am trying to create a measure for calculating employee attrition forecast for future months based on certain logic covered on below measure.

VAR _FcstAttrMTD in below measure gives the MTD attrition number not exactly but close to the expected numbers. Further to that I am trying to get commulative value of MTD forecasted attrition numbers over the period by using DAX ADDCOLUMNS. I have used an empty table named '0Measures_HC' for ADDCOLUMNS. 

I am struggling to get the commulative number and looking for guidance on where I am going wrong.

I also tried to use a custom calendar table for ADDCOLUMNS function and that gives a very high MTD attrition number and no commulative numbers. Request your help.

Attrition Fcst YTD = 

VAR _StartPeriod = MIN('6Calendar'[Date])
    VAR _EndPeriod = MAX('6Calendar'[Date])
    VAR _CurrentDate = TODAY()
    VAR _ActualClosing =[0Beginning HC]-[Attrition Actual YTD]
    VAR _NextMonthOpening=CALCULATE(_ActualClosing,'6Calendar'[Date]<=EOMONTH(_CurrentDate,-1))

VAR _ExpectedAttrition= (_NextMonthOpening+[Gross Adds Actual MTD])*[Attrition% Fcst MTD]/12
    VAR _FcstAttrMTD= IF(_StartPeriod>_CurrentDate,_ExpectedAttrition)
    VAR _FcstAttrYTD = ADDCOLUMNS('0Measures_HC',"_AttritionForecast",_ExpectedAttrition,"_AttrDate",_EndPeriod)

VAR _FinalNumber_1 = SUMX(Filter(_FcstAttrYTD, [_AttrDate]=_EndPeriod),[_AttritionForecast])
    VAR _FinalNumber = Calculate(IF(_StartPeriod>_CurrentDate,_FinalNumber_1),FILTER(ALL('6Calendar'),_StartPeriod=_StartPeriod))

return _FinalNumber

3 REPLIES 3
amitksingh2003
Regular Visitor

I created a pbix file with just one table for dates and 2 meaures. Don't see an option to attach the file here.

However, the model is pretty simple. The 1st measure is for monthly value given below. Pls note that I have kept 3 VARs _AddMTDColumn1, 2 and 3 just for trying different options. 

aMTDNumber = 
VAR _StartPeriod = MIN('Calendar'[Date])
VAR DurationDay=MAX('Calendar'[Date])-MIN('Calendar'[Date])+1
VAR _AddMTDColumn1=ADDCOLUMNS ('Calendar',"_MTD", 5,"_MTDDate",MAX('Calendar'[Date]))
VAR _AddMTDColumn2=ADDCOLUMNS ('Calendar',"_MTD", 5/DurationDay,"_MTDDate",MAX('Calendar'[Date]))
VAR _AddMTDColumn3=ADDCOLUMNS ('Calendar',"_MTD", IF('Calendar'[Date]=MAX('Calendar'[Date]), 5),"_MTDDate",MAX('Calendar'[Date]))
VAR _MTDNumber = SUMX(FILTER(_AddMTDColumn1,[_MTDDate]=MAX('Calendar'[Date])),[_MTD])

return _MTDNumber

2nd measure is just a commulation of 1st measure.

aYTDNumber = CALCULATE('Calendar'[aMTDNumber],FILTER(ALL('Calendar'),'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Date])))

I get commulative numbers for 2nd measure if I use VAR _AddMTDColumn1 in the 1st measure. However, the commulation in 2nd measure doesn't work if i use VAR _AddMTDColumn2 or VAR _AddMTDColumn3 in the 1st measure.

What want the first measure to give is a value of 5 for each month. 2nd measure should give commulative value of 1st measure. 5 in fist month, 10 in 2nd month, 15 in the 3rd month and so on.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amitksingh2003 ,

Could you pls share your sample data(remember to remove confidential data) ,and expect output?

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi @v-luwang-msft , pls see the update to my original post for more context. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.