Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

denisdav
Frequent Visitor

Help to add Custom Visual in PowerBI Desktop

Hi All,

I need help, how to sort the visual (for eg. I want the online in the bottom and offline in the top)?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Twan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Right now your [Device Status] column is being sorted alphabetically which is why Offline is on the bottom and Online is on top of the stacked column chart.  To reverse the order of these you need to add another column to the table that has [Device Status] that can be used to change the sort order of [Device Status].  Add a column in the edit queries step that is 1 whenever [Device Status] = "Online" and 2 the rest of the time.  In the Home ribbon go to Edit Queries -> Add Column - > Add Custom Column.  The Add Column Step would look like this:

= if [Status] = "Online" then 1 else 2

Then Close & Apply the changes.  Now go to the data view -> select the status column -> Modeling ribbon -> Sorty By Column -> chose to sort by the new column that was added.

Now the visual should have Online on the bottom of the chart and Offline on top.

-Anthony

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Twan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Right now your [Device Status] column is being sorted alphabetically which is why Offline is on the bottom and Online is on top of the stacked column chart.  To reverse the order of these you need to add another column to the table that has [Device Status] that can be used to change the sort order of [Device Status].  Add a column in the edit queries step that is 1 whenever [Device Status] = "Online" and 2 the rest of the time.  In the Home ribbon go to Edit Queries -> Add Column - > Add Custom Column.  The Add Column Step would look like this:

= if [Status] = "Online" then 1 else 2

Then Close & Apply the changes.  Now go to the data view -> select the status column -> Modeling ribbon -> Sorty By Column -> chose to sort by the new column that was added.

Now the visual should have Online on the bottom of the chart and Offline on top.

-Anthony

denisdav
Frequent Visitor

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the reply. If I applied the changes like you said, the result will be like enclosed screenshots. I don't know if I've implemented it correctly or not. The legend will only tell 1 or 2, not online or offline. Any other way? Say to sort descending the report view?

Thanks.

screenshot bi 2.jpgscreenshot bi 3.jpg

You almost have it working! You don't need the [Sort Device] column in any of the chart fields.  Just make sure in the data model you have set the [Device Status] column to be sorted by the [Sort Device] column.  Then put the [Device Status] column as the chart Legend like you did in the original chart.

Here is a tutorial on how that explains the steps you need to do to sort the [Device Status] column by the [Sort Device] column.

denisdav
Frequent Visitor

It works! Thanks @Twan!

My next challange is this, my data so far consisting of row from date 29th Feb until 2nd March. When I view the report on daily level, it is divided by date, 29 Feb on the right, 1-2 March on the left (refer to DULT report). Can we view it historically from left to right so the end user didn't get confused?

screenshot power bi 4.jpg

Yes you can @denisdav.  Right now the data is grouped by the day number (1 - 31).  That is why it is sorting March 1-2 before Feb 29.  To sort this correctly left click on the [Date] column in the Axis section of the chart and change it to be Date instead of Date Hierarchy.

Power BI Date Hierarchy.PNG

denisdav
Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot @Twan, you've been very helpful. Cheers! 🙂

screenshot power bi 5.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great solution @Twan! I was about to write the same thing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.