Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

siros92
Frequent Visitor

Help requested for connecting to REST API

Hi all, again hoping this wonderful community can help me out. Think there might be some generall learning for the community here as well! 

In Norway we have a significant amount of free publicly available data which the goverment collects, among these are AIS ship information from our coast. All of this is published in a rest API which requires you to get a token before calling the API and the token needs to be renewed every hour (so in reality everytime I would call the API). As i'm far from a computer expert I once again find myself in need of help here and it will likely need to be rather detailed (sorry just realizing my shortcommings in power query). 

The service offering access to the free data is called Barentswatch and they have also put together a short guide (not for power bi though) on how to connect to the API. it can be found here: https://developer.barentswatch.no/docs/tutorial

I belive that getting the response from the API in their examples through power query (so following their guide through) would be sufficent for me to be able to adopt the code to call different lists from their API. 

So, would it be possible to get help to 

- Understand how to access the API through power query and successfully send requests to the Barentswatch API? 

In advance thank you, and I appreciate and understand that this help request will take some time (hopefully not to much for someone who knows how to do this). 

Go for questions if I have been unclear.

1 REPLY 1
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @siros92 

You can refer to these documents and check if they can help:

Reports - Get Reports - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Read API Data with Power BI using Power Query (mssqltips.com)

Solved: Pagination of a REST API in Power Query using M - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.