Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

anmdf
Regular Visitor

Help on waterfall charts with beginning and ending balance

Here is my data, and the initial chart I made. Beginning balance and the Category A-C are good and okay, but then I'd like ending balance to be at the same level as the beginning balance, and remove the "Total" bar. 

waterfall2.png

My data data is basically a table that lists all values per attribute (beginning balance, cat A, cat B, ending balance, etc.), entity (those under the "+" in the matrix above), date, and report., so the amounts are the sum of all those values. 

Here is the measure I use for the values:

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Database[Value]), USERELATIONSHIP('Calendar A'[Date], Database[Date]))

*I use a USERELATIONSHIP function because I have two dropdowns for the quarters, and the chart will be showing values from period A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anmdf ,

The waterfall chart returns the process when the face value changes based on the previous value. As shown in the figure below, I use a bold black line to indicate the value of Cat A. The value of Cat A starts on the same horizontal line as the value of Begining Balance and increases by 502. Cat B is in Cat. The level of A is reduced by 1070, and so on, so Ending Balance is increased by 6575 on the level of Cat C. 

Screenshot 2021-08-23 145152.png

I suggest you use Stacked column chart. The color of the data can be displayed as a measure to show the difference between rise and fall. The measure can be modeled as follows

Measure = IF([Value])<0,"Red","Green")

4.png3.png

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-conditional-table-formatting

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anmdf ,

The waterfall chart returns the process when the face value changes based on the previous value. As shown in the figure below, I use a bold black line to indicate the value of Cat A. The value of Cat A starts on the same horizontal line as the value of Begining Balance and increases by 502. Cat B is in Cat. The level of A is reduced by 1070, and so on, so Ending Balance is increased by 6575 on the level of Cat C. 

Screenshot 2021-08-23 145152.png

I suggest you use Stacked column chart. The color of the data can be displayed as a measure to show the difference between rise and fall. The measure can be modeled as follows

Measure = IF([Value])<0,"Red","Green")

4.png3.png

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-conditional-table-formatting

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@anmdf , is this join inactive, and do you want to activate the same using userelationship.  if not that is not needed

Can you share relationship digram

hi @amitchandak thanks for the response. I'll check on that, but my main problem mostly is on the waterfall chart... how do I make the ending balance be at the same level as the beginning balance, and to get rid of the total? beginning balance and Cat A - C are okay, but ending balance looks to be part of the variance bridge.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.