Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

bvy
Helper V
Helper V

Help clean up this simple DAX calculation

Hi. Given a table of values, something like below, I want a measure that will return the "within range" percentage for each category. So if 3 out of 4 values are with in range (as shown below) the measure should return 0.75 for category A. 

Table1

Category.....RangeHigh.....RangeLow.....Value
A305052
A305045
A305040
A305038

[extra dots for formatting]

What I've come up with is below, but the problems are:

• The category is hard coded -- I'd like it driven off of a slicer or filter, and 
  • It's messy -- I think there's a clearer more compact way to write the DAX. 

PctInRange = 1 - CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1), FILTER(Table1, (Table1[Value] < Table1[RangeLow] || Table1[Value] > Table1[RangeHigh]) && Table1[Category] = "A")) / CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1), Table1[Category] = "A")

Can someone help? Thanks for taking a look! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

A few thoughts and a question.

• In your initial COUNTROWS you'd be better just to directly COUNTROWS of the table returned from the filter.
  • You can make your code a lot more readable by using variables and formatting it.

Those combined would give:

PctInRange = 
VAR tblGroupAInRange = 
    FILTER(
        Table1, 
        (Table1[Value] < Table1[RangeLow] || Table1[Value] > Table1[RangeHigh]) 
        && Table1[Category] = "A")

VAR cntGroupAInRange = COUNTROWS ( tblGroupAInRange )
VAR cntGroupA = 
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS ( Table1 ), 
        Table1[Category] = "A"
    )

VAR Result = 1 - DIVIDE ( cntGroupAInRange, cntGroupA)
RETURN Result

In terms of making it more dynamic depending on how you're intending to use the measure you could just get rid of the hard coded category = A filters. Sliceing on category would pass the filter straight into both.

Lastly are the high/low values the same for all of category A? If so moving them out to a category dimension might help further.

Share a little on how you'd like to use the measure and we can take it further.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

A few thoughts and a question.

• In your initial COUNTROWS you'd be better just to directly COUNTROWS of the table returned from the filter.
  • You can make your code a lot more readable by using variables and formatting it.

Those combined would give:

PctInRange = 
VAR tblGroupAInRange = 
    FILTER(
        Table1, 
        (Table1[Value] < Table1[RangeLow] || Table1[Value] > Table1[RangeHigh]) 
        && Table1[Category] = "A")

VAR cntGroupAInRange = COUNTROWS ( tblGroupAInRange )
VAR cntGroupA = 
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS ( Table1 ), 
        Table1[Category] = "A"
    )

VAR Result = 1 - DIVIDE ( cntGroupAInRange, cntGroupA)
RETURN Result

In terms of making it more dynamic depending on how you're intending to use the measure you could just get rid of the hard coded category = A filters. Sliceing on category would pass the filter straight into both.

Lastly are the high/low values the same for all of category A? If so moving them out to a category dimension might help further.

Share a little on how you'd like to use the measure and we can take it further.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

I am thinking you could accomplish this using a calculated column in table 1 that tests whether a Value is in range and returns something like "isInRange" or notInRange". Then write a measure that divides the count of "isInRange" by all values in the calculated column to get the percentage. That should allow filtering and slicing by categories that are in Table 1.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I could do that but I don't want to add excessive overhead to the table if it could all be managed in DAX without impacing performance, which I think it can. 

Can someone suggest how to modify the DAX, please? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.