Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard to drag text box

When i create a textbox and want to drag it to another location it very hard to be able to select the textbox and drag it. I have to click like 5/6 times to select the text box correctly. Does anyone have any tips?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, ever since they removed the annoying top header to visuals this has gotten more difficult, guess that was good for something. Here is what I do.

1. Make sure nothing is selected

2. Hoever your mouse over the text box until the cursor changes to the cursor icon for text (looks like a capital I)

3. You will notice that gray lines appear around the border of the text box. Move your mouse slowly down within the text box to the bottom gray border until the cursor changes to the pointer icon

4. Click and drag

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MkrMkr

Another workaround is to use Size and Position option in Format pane - and use numbers to set position or move text box around

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, ever since they removed the annoying top header to visuals this has gotten more difficult, guess that was good for something. Here is what I do.

1. Make sure nothing is selected

2. Hoever your mouse over the text box until the cursor changes to the cursor icon for text (looks like a capital I)

3. You will notice that gray lines appear around the border of the text box. Move your mouse slowly down within the text box to the bottom gray border until the cursor changes to the pointer icon

4. Click and drag

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very Convenient Way

1. Click on the textbox you want to move.

2. Press 'ESC' key from the keyboard (when pressing the 'ESC' key it will show the black border around the textbox).

3. Move your mouse pointer on the textbox until its turns into a regular arrow.

4. Done, textbox is ready to be moved, drag the box to where you want to place it.

Literally nothing here behaved as described.

Another way to easily select visuals (including text boxes) is to Go to View > Selection Pane, then find your visual from the list (usually named Text Box aptly) and you can select it from there. You can also drag it up over other visuals (like Bring to Front in powerpoint)

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

If you hover over the 3 little dots in the top right or bottom right of the visualisation and left click and hold you should find that it will always drag easily. Have you set your headers to the "Modern" version in the Options --> Report Options?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.