Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping in Matrix

Hi all,

Good Day. I have no idea how to generate a matrix view with Grouped items on the Row well. Please check the attached screenshot and it shows the way I wanted to group the items. Please help me how to do it in Power BI Desktop. 

Note: I tried to use the "New Group option" and grouped some of the items. But, when I used that into my matrix table, it didn't showed me with the expanded group view, I mean the child items associated to a parent were not displayed. All I got was only the Parent items on the Matrix Row well. Any help will be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Praveen. 

Sample Matrix visual.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

First make sure your dataset structure like below

2.png

Then add "parent" and "child" column to the Row field of a Matrix visual, then click on the fourth icon to let the row show at the lowest level.

3.png

Additional you could select Rows Headers->Stepped layout, turn off this option, you could see the picture as below.

4.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

First make sure your dataset structure like below

2.png

Then add "parent" and "child" column to the Row field of a Matrix visual, then click on the fourth icon to let the row show at the lowest level.

3.png

Additional you could select Rows Headers->Stepped layout, turn off this option, you could see the picture as below.

4.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Million Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix VisualMatrix VisualFieldsFieldsFields detailsFields details

Dear All,

I'm having two tables from which I have created the above Matrix visuals but the requirment is that the fields are not coming in +- (expand/shrink) at Row Level, also I have turned on Values"Show on Rows" . Please note my Values are in seperate measure so that can not be moved to Row level
Best Regards
Manik Nag  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,
Grouping works perfectly fine, but I wanted to sort the "parent" column in a particular order. So, I created supporting table with ranking and pulled the respective column from the newly created table into the matrix. Now smth went wrong and grouping does not work any more. I cant figure out why.. puzzled. If any one could help!

sorting.PNGsorting 2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

how do you write a measure for  custom values for child in  this structural grouping?

The grouping has no effect on the rows, and you can consider that a measure will be calculated as if all columns were populated in a table.  If you're looking to do a different calculation depending on hierarchy level, you'll want to use a switch based on ISINSCOPE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much Maggie for your kind reply to my question. Keep answering to all of our questions. 

God bless you and family,

Praveen. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.