Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chainfire74
Helper I
Helper I

Grouping data in a column

Hi, I'm fairly new to Power BI. 

I have a colum where the options are White, BME, Not Stated and Blank, within that column I want to combine the Not Stated and Blank data together to create a group called "Unknown".

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MahyarTF
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

in Power BI, click on the column (ellipsis icon near to the column (...)), then select New Group,

MahyarTF_0-1658738462329.png

On the shown page, select the value(s) in the left hand and put it in the right section by clicking Group Button or double click on the value :

MahyarTF_1-1658738553753.png

- Double Click on the title in the right hand and rename it as you want

MahyarTF_2-1658738621156.png

Then click Ok, Now you have a group of 'Blank' and 'Not Stated' value with 'Unknown' name and could use this new column (group column) in you visuals

Mahyartf

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MahyarTF
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

in Power BI, click on the column (ellipsis icon near to the column (...)), then select New Group,

MahyarTF_0-1658738462329.png

On the shown page, select the value(s) in the left hand and put it in the right section by clicking Group Button or double click on the value :

MahyarTF_1-1658738553753.png

- Double Click on the title in the right hand and rename it as you want

MahyarTF_2-1658738621156.png

Then click Ok, Now you have a group of 'Blank' and 'Not Stated' value with 'Unknown' name and could use this new column (group column) in you visuals

Mahyartf
lukiz84
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

just add a calculated column to your table where you do something like this:

MyNewGroup := IF(ISBLANK([myColumn]) || [myColumn] = "Not Stated", "Unknown", [myColumn])

And place this new column on your table/matrix/whatever

br

Thanks for your reply. Me being silly, the cell isn't blank but the word in the cell is "Blank". Do you know what the formula would be for this?

Thanks

Sure, 

MyNewGroup := IF([myColumn] = "Blank" || [myColumn] = "Not Stated", "Unknown", [myColumn])

But @MahyarTF's solution seems a little nicer.

Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.