Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

chrila
Frequent Visitor

Grouping based on logical expressions on past events

Hi.

I have a problem that on the surface seems really simple, but I can't wrap my head around how to do this with M (I am completely new to Power BI and Query Languages in general). I have a table of time stamped system events, logged towards a specific System ID for each event. Something like this (a lot more columns, but only these of interest):

Date | System ID | Event Type

From this, I want to create a metric I term "Active Users" which is a count of all unique System IDs that satisfy the following rule: "having at least 1 event registered in the last 7 days and at least 1 event registered more than 14 days ago". Simple enough if it was just a matter of checking for now(), but i want to display it as a time series graph (line) for the 2+ years I have events from, meaning I need the active count grouped for every day that I have events from.

Example:

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 8.56.37 AM.png

Note; the event type is simply there because I need to filter out irrelevant ones before I attempt to calculate the "active user"

Regardless how I try to iterate over each row, I don't seem to find a function that allows me to do the necessary logical check before grouping, thereby losing info in the process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrila,

You can create a calculated column below: 

Rankrow = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table1'),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[System ID]=EARLIER(Table1[System ID])&&'Table1'[Date]<EARLIER(Table1[Date])&& DATEDIFF('Table1'[Date],EARLIER(Table1[Date]),DAY)>7))

Then create a measure: 

count = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Rankrow]<>BLANK()))

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@chrila wrote:

Simple enough if it was just a matter of checking for now(), but i want to display it as a time series graph (line) for the 2+ years I have events from,

I don't see the difference between NOW() and a silcer based application fo the time.  If you can do it simply with NOW(), you shoudl be able to do it simply with a slicer.  Instead of hard coding NOW(), you just replace the NOW() portion of the formula with a measure that will "Harvest" the last selected date from a slicer (or row or column etc).  So if you have a slicer on the date column and somone clicks on 1/1/2017, then LASTDATE(Calendar[Date]) = 1/1/2017 and you can use that in your formula instead of NOW.  eg (in part)

FILTER(ALL(Calendar),some formula <=LASTDATE(Calendar[Date]))

The calc column solution posted above looks good to me.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrila,

You can create a calculated column below: 

Rankrow = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table1'),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[System ID]=EARLIER(Table1[System ID])&&'Table1'[Date]<EARLIER(Table1[Date])&& DATEDIFF('Table1'[Date],EARLIER(Table1[Date]),DAY)>7))

Then create a measure: 

count = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Rankrow]<>BLANK()))

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That did it! Thanks a lot 🙂

chrila
Frequent Visitor

One additional note; this table has millions of rows, so complicated join functions (O(n^n-1)) completely kills the machine I'm on

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.