Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

tobiasmcbride
Helper III
Helper III

Grouping and formatting issues table

Hi,

Have noticed couple of areas I'd like to check if I am doing things right: I have two separate tables - one is with actual financial data and the other has our budget. We can and have been able to break this down by month, quarter, year etc. 

However I have noticed something. In the report, when selecting a particular month no actuals appear for that category (which is correct) but rather than showing a blank value in the table, nothing for that category appears either for actuals or budget.

It should look like this:

CategoryActualsBudget

IT

£0£2.3K

Staff costs

£22.3M£26.4M

But instead has:

CategoryActualsBudget

Staff costs

£22.3M£26.4M

Which is throwing off figures - how do I get this otherwise blank value to appear?

Secondly, the data is comnprised of 8 categories (they are the same categories across the two excel datasets). I'd like to display a certain 4 (Staff Costs, Travel, Marketing, IT) and then group the rest as 'others' and do so such that it works across both excel datasets on the report.

How is it best to do this?

5 REPLIES 5
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tobiasmcbride

1.To make blank value  appear:

So the acutals and budget are from 2 tables right? If so ,create a dim table,then create a relationship between dim and actuals, dim and budget.

2.About group:

In the dim table,right click on the column of category,choosing "new group",then choose each row you dont need to be grouped and others which are needed to be grouped in the other ,and you will see:

Annotation 2020-02-18 135038.pngAnnotation 2020-02-18 135108.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi,

If I do that, the slicers/filters do not work for the budget. Also blank categories appear and no IT Expenses appear in the month view when I know there is a budget entry for that even though no actuals view.

Not sure what I am doing wrong? 

Hi @tobiasmcbride ,

Can you show me your .pbix file if it's not confidential?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I doubt it is getting data 0 for IT. Just allow no dataAppreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Proud to be a Datanaut Connect on Linkedin values and check.

ShowItemwithoutdata.JPG

I have selected that option and still does not appear. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors