Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dineshj
Helper I
Helper I

Giving blank fields a name

Hello!

I have data in one of my columns in excel sheet that have blanks. On a pie chart in PowerBI, these blanks show up as "blanks". How can I change the name blanks to something else, like "unrated". 

I rather do this in powerBi as I might have other columns that have blanks that I need to create charts on. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dineshj Yeah, so then just right click the column in Power Query and choose Replace values. Leave the top one empty and the second one "unrated". Will replace null's (blanks) with "unrated".

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKkpNUdJRMlSK1YlWSi9KTc2D8+CMpJzSVAgnFgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type","","unrated",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column1"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mydauldron
Frequent Visitor

I have a simular issue, I have a Spreadsheet that People enter data into for projects when they are assigned, at times these get entered but not assigned.  Want to put "Unassigned" in the Empty Visual. 

It reads like this. 

Project          Resource: 

Build 1          John Doe

Build 2          Jane Doe

Build 3          Jeffery Doe

Build 4                                <-- Blank - want these to read Unassigned

Build 5           Beckie Little

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@dineshj You can replace the blanks in Power Query with "unrated". Would need to know more though to know if this is a valid solution.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler Thank you for your reply. So in my column I have text that have colors mentioned, green, red, orange, and the blank cells. The pie chart is made up of these four fields. 

@dineshj Yeah, so then just right click the column in Power Query and choose Replace values. Leave the top one empty and the second one "unrated". Will replace null's (blanks) with "unrated".

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKkpNUdJRMlSK1YlWSi9KTc2D8+CMpJzSVAgnFgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type","","unrated",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column1"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Latest book!:

Thank you! When I refresh the data next time, will it replace the null to Unrated automatically?

@dineshj Correct.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.