Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Imagauthamam
Helper I
Helper I

Getting User input and filtering the data using Dynamic M query Parameter

I have a requirement wherein I have to get a user input and that value should be filtered in a column so that it filters the whole table and gives a summary of the total number of cases by that User Input.

Let me give an example.

Consider I have the below data:

Screenshot 2023-10-17 103109.png

Then I have to give a search bar like the below and let's say the user types "Access", then I should get the below output:

Screenshot 2023-10-17 103733.png

It should take that user input and filter the description column using that word.
Then it should group by the day level and give the total number of cases which contains that keyword.

What I thought was there must be some way in which we can get the user input and stored in a parameter and then using Dynamic M query I can filter out the table using any keyword that user inputs and give them the total cases by day level for that Case.
But how do I take the user input and pass it into a parameter? I'm not sure. 
Any help would be much appreciated!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dk_dk
Super User
Super User

Hi @Imagauthamam ,

Would it work that you simply create a table with the date and Description count measure, and then add a filter on the description field to the filter pane and set it to Advanced filtering with a contains condition like so:

dk_dk_0-1697626482873.png

Alternatively. the Text filter custom visual from Microsoft also should work, and that you can place on the canvas as a slicer. Maybe better user experience than the filter pane?

dk_dk_1-1697626680652.png

I hope this helps 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Imagauthamam
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks @dk_dk for the suggestion.

dk_dk
Super User
Super User

Hi @Imagauthamam ,

Would it work that you simply create a table with the date and Description count measure, and then add a filter on the description field to the filter pane and set it to Advanced filtering with a contains condition like so:

dk_dk_0-1697626482873.png

Alternatively. the Text filter custom visual from Microsoft also should work, and that you can place on the canvas as a slicer. Maybe better user experience than the filter pane?

dk_dk_1-1697626680652.png

I hope this helps 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.