Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jeongkim
Helper V
Helper V

Get the data from excel when Tab names change dynamically

Hi,

I'm getting data through 'Sharepoint Folder' and would like to get the data from Tab#1 Tab#2 such with this order not with tab name as the names are dynamic over time. 

e.g. 2023 will be changing to 2024,,,2025 

Q3 will be changing to Q4,,,and again Q1,,,Q2

So hope to get the data with just order like first tab, second tab,,,no matter how the names change. 

Not just for multiple sheets, multiple Tabs from multiple sheets.  

jeongkim_0-1704866315762.png

let
Source = SharePoint.Contents("https://nokia.sharepoint.com/sites/korea-pmo-pbi-data-repository", [ApiVersion = 15]),
#"Shared Documents" = Source{[Name="Shared Documents"]}[Content],
#"KR PO Plan" = #"Shared Documents"{[Name="KR PO Plan"]}[Content],
SKT = #"KR PO Plan"{[Name="SKT"]}[Content],
#"SK_5G Bottom up plan" = SKT{[Name="CT SK_5G Bottom up plan"]}[Content],
#"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(#"SK_5G Bottom up plan", each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),
#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Column1", type any}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type text}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type text}, {"Column13", type any}, {"Column14", type text}, {"Column15", type any}, {"Column16", type any}, {"Column17", type any}, {"Column18", type any}, {"Column19", type any}, {"Column20", type any}, {"Column21", type any}, {"Column22", type any}, {"Column23", type any}, {"Column24", type any}, {"Column25", type any}, {"Column26", type any}, {"Column27", type text}, {"Column28", type text}, {"Column29", type any}, {"Column30", type any}}),
#"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Changed Type",20),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Top Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @jeongkim 
Please refer to the linked tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdAvGAq_E

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

This is exactly the case of the tutorial that I linked...
Reza shows how to handle the changes on the sheet names level.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @jeongkim 
Please refer to the linked tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdAvGAq_E

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi, sorry but It's not about my question. 

Multiple sheets are already applied, I need to apply dynamic Tabs which's name change. 

Hi @jeongkim 
Sorry, I don't understand what are tabs, in your picture there are sheets...
The objects that I am familiar with in Excel are a workbook (the file itself)/ sheets/tables/columns.
What of those are dynamic in your case?

Hi, 

Sorry I didn't use correct word. 

yes it is Sheet(not tab) but the thing is sheet's names are dynamic over time.

As we know, if sheet names change then query doesn't fetch the data. 

So I hope to make it to get data by sheet order not by sheet name. 

This is exactly the case of the tutorial that I linked...
Reza shows how to handle the changes on the sheet names level.

I see, let me thoroughly watch and follow, 

Thank you! 

Happy to help 🙂

One more thing pls,

Can we rename the column names as per steet name?

e.g. if sheet name starts 2024 then one of columns to be 2024 blabla,

if sheet name starts 2025 then to be 2025 babla,

Since I renamed manually for all columns to add year number 2024 as data source has very old format which has many of empty column names. 

But the thing is year will change and 2024 should be 2025 next year.

jeongkim_0-1704948799804.png

@jeongkim 
If I understand you correctly and you want the column's names changing automatically I in doubt that it is possible.

But try to post it as a new question, maybe i am missing something 🙂

Will do thank you! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.