Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

gijeet

Flexibility

Hello, I just want to say I’m new to BI Desktop and I’m trying to figure this product out. Who is this for? Developers or end users? I need a scenario how this product is used. Let me tell you my current situation. I create reports in Excel for say the accounting dept. In Excel we have VBA, in VBA I can create a user form that will take input values from the user. I use these input values as parameters to call MS Sql Server stored procedures. Once I’m in the SP I have the full power of SQL to create temp tables, CTEs, Multi-level CTEs, unions, get 3 fields from table A, 2 from table B, I can user the input values to filter the data and return a result set into an Excel table on a worksheet. And I can name the worksheet to reflect the values selected like Compare Last Qtr or Compare 2 Months, etc. The user can then repeat with different values. Excel + VBA + SQL is powerful. I’m not sure how BI Desktop can compare to that. I like many of the menu tools in BID but how can the end user play around with different values once the report has been published? Can it go back to SQL server and get new input values or are the static once published? I don’t see the flexibility in BID I would need. If I am wrong, enlighten me please. Thx

1 REPLY 1
TheOckieMofo
Resolver II
Resolver II

This question is likely more of a personal opinion question without any definitive right or wrong. However, I'll say that this product is excellent for the end users, or data consumers as I'll call them. From my experience, most data consumers are not Excel pros and want nothing to do with the data. What you just said about SQL server and parameters and the like would likely bore and/or scare most end users. PBI allows you to create a visual-intensive solution for you consumers rather quickly and easily as well as mashing up data from several sources.

From a developer's standpoint, the ability to use Power Query and DAX to wrangle, transform, and shape the data makes PBI a very powerful tool for us Excel dorks to be able to deliver a repeatable, user-friendly solution to the end user, without the need to know SQL or VBA.

But, again, every organization's data needs/demands are different. But so far, I think this product is excellent.

P.S. I'm just a run of the mill analyst with absolutely zero ties to Microsoft just in case I'm sounding too rosy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.