Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FedeB

Fix Display Units Standard, without taking region into account

Greetings Everyone,

I'm having the following issue regarding the "display units" function in Power BI.

I live in a Spanish speaking country, where the standard suffixes for thousands and millions are "mil" and "mill" respectively. As you can probably tell, this abbreviations are both kinda long, and very similar among themselves. So at first glance it's difficult to tell the difference between them.

In order to solve this I tried changing the Regional Settings in the desktop app, which partially solved the issue. As of now, I managed to make it so when I'm editing my reports I see this suffixes as "K" instead of "mil", and "M" instead of "mill". The problem is that when i publish the reports, this units seem to be linked to the viewing user's settings. This means that I would have to tell every single person I share my reports with, to change their regional settings in their Power BI service (or maybe even make them switch their system's regional configuration).

Is there any way for me to fix these settings in my reports without it depending on each user's parameters?

I know I could create a duplicate measure for each of the values I'm showing in my report, making a custom formatting for them, etc. but that is obviously a very annoying workaround.

I'm hoping I'm just missing some key setting I could play with in order to achieve this.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @FedeB ,

You can try creating a new column, formatting the display style of the number, which is a text format. 

Sale in (K) =
Var TotalSale = SUM('Global-Superstore'[Sales])
Var FinalSale = DIVIDE(TotalSale, 1000)
Var decimals = "0.0"
RETURN
FORMAT ( FinalSale, decimals & "K" )

https://powerbidocs.com/2020/09/26/custom-display-units-in-power-bi/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @FedeB ,

You can try creating a new column, formatting the display style of the number, which is a text format. 

Sale in (K) =
Var TotalSale = SUM('Global-Superstore'[Sales])
Var FinalSale = DIVIDE(TotalSale, 1000)
Var decimals = "0.0"
RETURN
FORMAT ( FinalSale, decimals & "K" )

https://powerbidocs.com/2020/09/26/custom-display-units-in-power-bi/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.