Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MRD_JR
Frequent Visitor

Filtering rows based on other rows

How can I filter rows based on comparisons to other rows?

My desired filter is "Remove any row that has another row within X rows whose timestamp is more than Y seconds away from the timestamp of the next row"

My data is a series of about 600 CSV files with around 7000 rows and <500kB each, totalling less than 400MB. If it makes a difference, each file is in order by the Time column. Sample data:

Time (s)Data
0A
1.012B
2.022C
3.032D
4.041E
5.05F
5.906G
5.917H
5.937I
5.948J
5.97L
5.98M
5.991N

The desired result is to remove A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J for an X rows of 3 and Y seconds of 0.025

I tried adding an index column and creating a custom column using List.Range to calculate the time difference to the previous row

try [#"Time (s)"] - List.Range(#"Reordered Columns"[#"Time (s)"], [Index]-1, 1){0} otherwise #"Max Timestep"+1

Followed by creating a second column again using List.Range to check if any values nearby exceed Y

try List.Max( List.Range(#"Reordered Columns1"[Time to Previous], [Index]-#"Filter Range", (#"Filter Range"*2)+1) ) < #"Max Timestep" otherwise false

Then just filtered out any rows that had false in that column.

This worked when testing on a single file, but encountered issues when I tried it on the whole folder. Loading has still not completed after about 3 hours at the time of writing (Imports of similar datasets without the filtering have completed in minutes in the past), and I am seeing insane file sizes in the load dialog - 100+GB from individual files in some cases.

What is a better way to do this kind of filtering?

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.