Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MatM
Employee
Employee

Filtering based on prefix match

I have two tables.

Table1 -- main data

PathInteresting dataInteresting data
/uk/london/central/bank... 
/uk/london/central/mayfair  
/uk/london/central/mayfair  
/uk/london/west  
/uk/cambridge  
etc.  

Table2 -- scopes of interest and corresponding paths

ScopePath
London Central/uk/london/central
London West/uk/london/west
Cambridge/uk/cambirdge

I want to build a dashboard that has a list of scopes at the top, and when the user selects a scope, all other charts on the dashboard are filtered so that they only take account of data in Table1 where the row has a path that is a descendant of (that is, starts with) the selected scope's path (from Table 2). 

Can anyone help me please?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @MatM,

You could use the 'fuzzy merge' option to match on Path. You may need a little trial and error to get the settings just right, but in your sample data, it worked with the defaults.

let
  Source = Table.FromRows(
    Json.Document(
      Binary.Decompress(
        Binary.FromText(
          "i45W0i/N1s/Jz0vJz9NPTs0rKUrM0U9KzMtW0lHS09MDkgpKsTpYVeUmVqYlZhaBlZCvrDy1uARDLjkxN6koMyU9FSETCwA=",
          BinaryEncoding.Base64
        ),
        Compression.Deflate
      )
    ),
    let
      _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true])
    in
      type table [Path = _t, #"Interesting data" = _t, #"Interesting data.1" = _t]
  ),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
    Source,
    {{"Path", type text}, {"Interesting data", type text}, {"Interesting data.1", type text}}
  ),
  #"Merged Queries" = Table.FuzzyNestedJoin(
    #"Changed Type",
    {"Path"},
    TableB,
    {"Path"},
    "TableB",
    JoinKind.LeftOuter,
    [IgnoreCase = true, IgnoreSpace = true]
  ),
  #"Expanded TableB" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TableB", {"Scope"}, {"Scope"})
in
  #"Expanded TableB"

PBIX example attached for reference.

Hope this helps.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @MatM ;

You could use custom visual -text filter .

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381309?tab=Overview

Or Smart Filter Pro by OKViz;

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA200001464?tab=Overview

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @MatM,

You could use the 'fuzzy merge' option to match on Path. You may need a little trial and error to get the settings just right, but in your sample data, it worked with the defaults.

let
  Source = Table.FromRows(
    Json.Document(
      Binary.Decompress(
        Binary.FromText(
          "i45W0i/N1s/Jz0vJz9NPTs0rKUrM0U9KzMtW0lHS09MDkgpKsTpYVeUmVqYlZhaBlZCvrDy1uARDLjkxN6koMyU9FSETCwA=",
          BinaryEncoding.Base64
        ),
        Compression.Deflate
      )
    ),
    let
      _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true])
    in
      type table [Path = _t, #"Interesting data" = _t, #"Interesting data.1" = _t]
  ),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
    Source,
    {{"Path", type text}, {"Interesting data", type text}, {"Interesting data.1", type text}}
  ),
  #"Merged Queries" = Table.FuzzyNestedJoin(
    #"Changed Type",
    {"Path"},
    TableB,
    {"Path"},
    "TableB",
    JoinKind.LeftOuter,
    [IgnoreCase = true, IgnoreSpace = true]
  ),
  #"Expanded TableB" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TableB", {"Scope"}, {"Scope"})
in
  #"Expanded TableB"

PBIX example attached for reference.

Hope this helps.

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr

Nice!   Thank you.  

I'm very new to this though and one thing is unclear...  The output of the fuzzy match seems to leave some kind of table reference on each row of the source table which then needs to be expanded via ExpandTableColumn?   The example in the FuzzyJoin documentation doesn't seem to need that step?  Table.FuzzyJoin - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

The Table.FuzzyJoin does skip that step, kind of. It's not ideal if you only wanted one column from the other table and won't work if the two tables share any common column names.

The Table.FuzzyNestedJoin does result in a table which then allows you to select the columns you want to expand. 

In your example, the FuzzyJoin will error because of the same column name (Path) in the two tables.

KNP_0-1645033025060.png

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.