Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

AviBI
Frequent Visitor

Filter Context rendering report incorrect

Hi all

I have been working to resolve an issue for the past 3 days without much success. Have tried various permutations and combinations to no avail. Appreciate if anyone can suggest ideas to solve this problem

here are the details:

A. Data Sources

1. Data Table comprising National Sales for all stores (National Data). This comprises Store IDs and Sales among other fields

2. Competitors Lookup Table - This comprises Stores operating under ACME. There are two columns as follows:

ACME ID = Store IDs for ACME Stores

Competitor IDs = For each Store there are around 10 local competitor stores (each with their unique IDs). However due to close proximity in some cases, ACME's own stores are also part of the competitor group. Also as I am calculating market share, the sales for a particular store are also included in the competition

So for Example: the competition for ACME1 looks something like this in the Competitors Lookup Table

ACME ID          CompetitorID

ACME1               ACME1

ACME1              ACME3 

ACME1              ACME7

ACME1              Other1

ACME1              Other2

AMCE1              Other3

ACME1              Other4

ACME1              Other5

ACME1              Other6

ACME1              Other7

3. ACME Stores Lookup Table: This comprises a list of ACME Stores with their IDs and other attributes e.g. postcodes etc. I have added a column here to mark each row as "ACME" which then allows me to lookup the sold items from the National Data list for ACME stores.  

B. Linkages:

CompetitorID links to National Data IDs - This allow calculation of Local Competition Sales (this is a many to many relationship)

ACMEID links to National Data IDs - This allows calculation of ACME Sales (one to many)

Measures:

ExtCompetition = Calculate ([NationalItems] , Values (ExtCompetition[ACMEID]))
ACMEItems = calculate ([NationalItems] , filter(ACMEStores, ACMEStores[Group] = "ACME"))

I am plotting the sales of both the competition and ACME over time

Now the issue:
I can get the competitors sales correctly in that it includes everything that needs to be included 
For those ACME stores that have internal competitors (competition from other ACME stores), their sales are added even when I only select one ACME store on the slicer. Those stores which do not have an internal competitor are showing correctly.

If I remove that internal ACME competitors from the competition list (data source) completely, the competition sales are reduced but I get correct sales for the individual ACME store selected on the slicer. This then means that while the ACME store level sales are now correct, the competitor sales are incorrect. 

So essentially, including the ACME internal competition adds to both the competition as well as ACME store sale (even when one store is selected). 

Really not able to understand how to solve this... greatly appreciate any help

@amitchandak 

@parry2k 

@mahoneypat 

@az38 

1 REPLY 1
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AviBI ,

I am not sure what desired result would you want, could you please share your sample data and desired output screenshots for further analysis? You can also upload sample pbix to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Please read this post to get your answer quickly: How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors