Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pelicanedunn

Filter Assigned Users

Hello,

I am fairly new to PowerBI but I am working on importing our helpdesk information into PowerBI so I can review data trends. The issue I am running into right now is that when i pull in the data from SQL it has a column called "Assigned Users" in the main ticket table. The format of that column is odd (ex. |3||456||23||6|) in that example each number is an employee ID. I have another table that has the employee ID and their name.  I took the weird formatted table and duplicated the tickets table and removed all of the columns except the request# and the assigned to column then proceeded to manually strip out just the employee IDs into separate columns, then recombined them into a single All Assigned column where their name is separated by commas.

When i filter by a single name it only returns the rows that have a single name in it.
example, 
Request#|Assigned|
1234 | John Doe, Jane Doe, Phil Doe, Play Doe
4321 | John Doe, Play Doe
6785 | Play Doe

If i filter by Play Doe I want it to return all 3 rows, but when i filter the way i have it setup it only returns the solo line where the name is alone in the row.

I can provide more information just let me know what is needed. I have read through the previous posts and some solutions are similar but not exact and since I am unfamiliar with this figured I would ask first.

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
pelicanedunn

Hello,

I tried following the video and it did not really work. The only way i can get the filter to somewhat work is when i split the column values into their own column User.1 User.2 all the way to use.6. When i set a relationship between my employee table that has their employeeID and name to the User.1 column in the "assigned users" table it filters properly based on that single column but when i try and split by rows it just blanks to table visual.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@pelicanedunn , Two Options you can split the column into rows in power query

https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

or create a dim and split it there

The option is explained here

Power BI- Text Part slicer to filter/search text - https://youtu.be/MKKWeOqFG4c

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.