Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nankaina
Helper I
Helper I

Filled Map Mississippi/Mato Grosso do Sul Mix-up

I've never run into problems using Power BI's mapping before, but in this newest project, I have a column of state abbreviations that's not playing nice. When I try to map Referrals by state, most of the abbreviations are fine but "MS" is being interpreted as Mato Grosso do Sul in Brazil, instead of Mississippi in the United States.

I figured I might need to clarify that this is in the US, so I added a "US-" prefix to all the abbreviations. Same issue.

Nankaina_0-1689096139700.png

How do I convince PBI that I'm referring to Mississippi?

6 REPLIES 6
chili_mac

Replace the state abbreviation with Mississippi, USA.  That should work

UW-DA
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue as well. I ensured the country code was set to USA and even used the spelled state names versus abbreviations. My result showed all states correct except for Mississippi and Hawaii. Like others MS showed as Mato Grosso do Sul and Hawaii is not being filled at all. 

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Nankaina 

According to your description , It seems like Power BI is interpreting "MS" as Mato Grosso do Sul in Brazil instead of Mississippi in the United States. One possible solution is to use the full state name instead of the abbreviation. Another solution is to use the ISO 3166-2 code for the state, which is "US-MS" for Mississippi.

And the ISO 3166-2 code for the "Mato Grosso do Sul" is "BR-MS" ;  the "Mississippi" is "US-MS".

We can search from this website:
Relation: ‪Mato Grosso do Sul‬ (‪334051‬) | OpenStreetMap

I test it in my side like this:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1689217327394.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya,

Same issue here. I added a column to my dataset that merged country and state ("US-MS") and dropped this value in the "Location" field on my Azure map and now only see one pie chart for all of US. How does one handle this?

AGarcia2_0-1709077245291.png

Appreciated.

Replace the state abbreviation of MS in your data with Mississippi, USA.  That should work

Using the ISO coding doesn't work.  I tried.  Still no Mississippi, and now Florida, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, and more have dropped off the map.  This is a PowerBI bug that they need to fix.  Using the full state name was effective, however I had to essentially do this manually (i.e., find/create a table or field there are multiple ways to accomplish this) because my data did not have them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.