Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

e_j
Frequent Visitor

Fields not showing in main data view

There have been two new columns added to my source database. I can see the two columns when I view the data via Power Query Editor but I cannot see the two columns in the normal data view.

There have been a number of occasions when new fields have been added to the database and there has never been any problems, they simply just appear when the data is refreshed. Therefore, I'm unsure what is going on this time around.

Thanks in advance for any solution ideas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
e_j
Frequent Visitor

I found the issue.

I had uninstalled power bi which I had downloaded through the Windows Store due to it not rescaling to size when I put the window onto a larger screen. I then redownloaded power bi using the advanced download option which resolved this resizing issue. However I'm unable to refresh any reports connected to SharePoint. Just as a test I uninstalled the advanced download and reinstalled the version from the Windows Store and the file refreshed fine and I can now see the two columns I refer to in the original question.

This is very odd.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
e_j
Frequent Visitor

I found the issue.

I had uninstalled power bi which I had downloaded through the Windows Store due to it not rescaling to size when I put the window onto a larger screen. I then redownloaded power bi using the advanced download option which resolved this resizing issue. However I'm unable to refresh any reports connected to SharePoint. Just as a test I uninstalled the advanced download and reinstalled the version from the Windows Store and the file refreshed fine and I can now see the two columns I refer to in the original question.

This is very odd.

What worked for me: I renamed the new columns in PowerQuery and applied changes. Voila, the new fields appeared in the main view. Then just deleted this step in PowerQuery, new fields remained

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@e_j , refresh preview and check, In the new version they are getting added automatically.

Otherwise, add the table again as a new table. Open advance editor using the right click of the table. Copy top part and paste into the old table

refer if needed

How to manage when column is added or removed at source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0yLtceT0i4&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGYo50Ajmr4SgSV9HIQLxc8L&index=2

Added a new field to the source and it didn't initally show up in Power BI Server.  Refreshing the preview worked for me!  Thanks amitchandak!

@amitchandak 

Unfortunately I'm also have issues refreshing this specifc file. All other power bi files a refreshing fine.
For this file in particular I also have a data source connected from SharePoint which is usually the reason it takes longer. I have left his report refresh for about 3 hours where it shows me the number of rows it has refreshed and then almost gets stuck in that state. Any suggestions for this?

I see that behavior too sometimes but the data are there.  You can confirm by filtering on one of the columns and the filtered data will likely show.  

FYI on this article/video for a much faster way to pull SharePoint list data (if that is what you are doing).

Get Data From SharePoint Lists … But Fast – Hoosier BI

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat 

Hi Pat, thanks for taking the time to respond.
When I use the search bar to filter down the field names (see pic) the field itself doesn't even show in there.

e_j_0-1627306210873.png

Will be sure to check out the link for SharePoint, thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.