Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jeggen
Helper I
Helper I

Error in appending queries

I have a report that uses several source of data, most of them being OData sources. There are two sources that append into one table for the final report. I have one Odata source going into Table A, another going into Table B and a step in the query editor to append Table B to Table A so that only Table A is in the actual report. This is a workaround for for source data where in our report we want to see the combination of data from both tables but the source will only provide them as individual reports.

Up until a couple of days ago I have never had an issue with this. Starting yesterday I was receiving an error:

Query 'Table A' (step 'Appended Query') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

I am able to work around this by going into the query editor and refreshing preview for Table B and then going back to the report and refreshing data and that seems to work. I'm just wondering if something changed to start causing this error or if there is something I need to change in how I combine these tables to avoid this error in the future. Would disabling "Enable parallel loadof of tables" to solve this?

6 REPLIES 6
RachelGomez1619
Helper II
Helper II

When you run an append query in an Access desktop database, you may receive an error message that says, "Microsoft Access can't append all the records in the append query.” This error message can appear for one of the following reasons: Type conversion failures You may be trying to append data of one type into a field of another type.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

jeggen
Helper I
Helper I

All of the other queries simply have the error: "Loading blocked by failures with other queries."

This is setup as an append query in the query editor and pretty simple setup there.

jeggen_0-1658440626270.png

I have already disabled "preview data/load data in the background" and have tried with "Enable parallel loading of tables" both checked and unchecked.

jeggen_1-1658440726413.png

My only workaround so far is to go into query editor, refresh preview on the table being appended (Table B in my example) and then refresh data and it works.

Is it possible it's a timing issue that PowerBI is trying to refresh Table A with the append before Table B has been refreshed? The only change is that I have a new computer and wondering if my old slower computer was spreading out the refreshes far enough I just simply never ran into this before.

Is there a better way to append data from two tables besides doing it in the query editor as I am doing?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jeggen , It can come if one query fails to load or you might have disabled preview data /load data in the background under data load in options and setting

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Amit, I have the same problem. I tried moving the appended query before the 'main' query and it seems to load now, but I'm worried it's just a coincidence. Any thoughts, please?

I found that sometimes it would work for me (usually by refreshing preview first and then refreshing everything.) Ultimately changing a few options as documented in the link below solved the issue for me:

https://aforanalytic.com/power-bi-query-references-other-queries-or-steps-so-it-may-not-directly-acc...

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I'll apply them - thank you so much, Jeggen!! It has been frustrating to see this message for at least seven times now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.