Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RolinMartis
Helper II
Helper II

Error for a measure which is duplicate copy of another measure

Hi Team,

I have a Measure created which works perfectly without any error. But when i copy this measure formuale and paste it in a new meausre it gives me error.

Originial measure :

C_HC Budget = IF('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Labor & HC]="HC Budget", IF( 'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[3rd month flag]=1, IF('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Current Year HC flag]=1,'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Budget])))

New Measure: Exact copy of above expression but i get error here.
Measure 6 = IF('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Labor & HC]="HC Budget", IF( 'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[3rd month flag]=1, IF('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Current Year HC flag]=1,'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Budget])))

RolinMartis_0-1629973975334.png

Anyone knows how to fix this.

When original measure is working fine what is going wrong with duplicate of that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@RolinMartis 

You cannot just refer to a column in measure, every time you call out a column value in measure, you have add an aggregation function in front (max, min or sum). 

Measure 6 = IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Labor & HC])="HC Budget", IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[3rd month flag])=1, IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Current Year HC flag])=1,MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Budget]))))

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tfhodge
Regular Visitor

I've just found the same thing. But then realised that i wasn't copying a measure - I was copying the dax for a calculated column - which is a different kettle of fish. Was that the issue maybe?

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@RolinMartis 

You cannot just refer to a column in measure, every time you call out a column value in measure, you have add an aggregation function in front (max, min or sum). 

Measure 6 = IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Labor & HC])="HC Budget", IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[3rd month flag])=1, IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Current Year HC flag])=1,MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Budget]))))

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Does this work?

Measure 6 = IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Labor & HC])="HC Budget", IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[3rd month flag])=1, IF(MAX('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Current Year HC flag])=1,'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Budget])))

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

@Ashish_Mathur  - It still gives the error.

RolinMartis_0-1630041115559.png

The problem is this expression works perfectly fine in another measure. I dont understand what is going wrong when i copy and paste it in another measure. Is it a bug in powerBI.?

Hi,

Share the download link of the PBI file and show the problem very clearly.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you still get an error with this version?

Measure 6 = IF('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Labor & HC]="HC Budget" && 'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[3rd month flag]=1 && 'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Current Year HC flag]=1,'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Budget])

Also note that you are missing the "or else" decision statement.

Hi @lbendlin ,

I changed the expression as below and it worked.

Measure 6 =
CALCULATE(SUM('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Budget]),
FILTER('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)', AND('REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[3rd month flag]=1,'REP 105 Labor & HC (1)'[Labor & HC]="HC Budget")))

What i want to understand is -  In the same PBIX file one measure works fine withought any errors and the eact copy of it doesnt work. Is it a bug?

Regars,
Rolin

Which version of Power BI Desktop are you using? Latest is 2.96.901.0

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.