Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MA_guy_VER
Advocate I
Advocate I

Error Message Trying to Hit iSeries DB2

Has anyone encountered the following error?  PBI was working then on reboot of machine, this message appeared.  Both import and directquery cannot access the live server. Server is up and running and I can access it from all other applications without issue. 

DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'HISMPCB0002 In BasePrimitiveConverter the SetCodePage method has been called with a invalid codepage: 937.'
Details:
DataSourceKind=DB2
DataSourcePath=x.x.x.x:446;Database

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ChuckS After much investigation, I believe there is an issue with the latest version of PBI.  I went to the archive Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn and pulled the September version https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/880BCA75-79DD-466A-927D-1ABF1F5454B0/PBIDesktopSetup-2... I was able to connect to the DB2 without issue. 

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
arletebacon

I am having the same issue with excel power query.. any advice??

Looks like the last release 1/10/2023 did not fix the DB2 issue.  I still see the same behavior.

sorry I don't see an answer in that link

That is a link to the bug report I made. The more people that upvote this issue the likelier it is being fixed. 

gomezc73
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi i updated PBI desktop to october version and now i haveing the same issue "HISMPCB0002 In BasePrimitiveConverter the SetCodePage method has been called with a invalid codepage: 937" with my reports based in the server of JDedwards (DB2).. i can't use Administrator due my laptop is controlled by my company.. I am going to enter a ticket to uninstall the version of Oct. 2022 and install the version of september 2022.. i am not sure how Microsoft release a new version without it...

You would think with the number of financial institution and insurance companies that are DB2 based there would be more consideration and testing when it comes to this database platform. 

For now we can only hope the issue is resolved on the Nov 2022 release.

hannibalmads
Advocate III
Advocate III

I have the exact same issue as well. Rolling back to Desktop edition September 2022 solved the issue for now. 

ChuckS
Helper I
Helper I

I am getting the exact same error message in PBi Desktop. 
working with a dataset that has been in use to a while now. This just started happening.

Edit: Wanted to add that I get the same error message on any dataset that tries to connect to our DB2 datasource.

@ChuckS @v-yueyunzh-msft  - I have done the recommended steps and it continues.  I have taken my PBI file and migrated it internally to another machine and it works as expected.  So, it is related to the machine itself.  I do recall a java update and an MS update hitting just before the issue.  I have rolled back the java.  No change.  I am thinking of attacking the OBDC next.

I am using the Microsoft driver instaed of IBM. I will check my MS updates and see it one slipped in resently that I did not notice and report back any findings.

@ChuckS I am using the MS one as well.  Just an FYI.

The only update I was able to find was mentioned in Windows Event Viewer.

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: 9NTXR16HNW1T-Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop

Reading over release notes to see if there is anything mentioned.

Edit: I did not see anything in the release notes that looked related. I uninstalled PBi Desktop and reinstalled, which did not help. Tried creating a new report and get the same error message when connecting to the DB2 server.

So no luck yet but at least we know a few things that dont help.

@ChuckS After much investigation, I believe there is an issue with the latest version of PBI.  I went to the archive Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn and pulled the September version https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/880BCA75-79DD-466A-927D-1ABF1F5454B0/PBIDesktopSetup-2... I was able to connect to the DB2 without issue. 

@waynesteele Will this issue be resolved in a new release? 

The only way I've been able to get around this is by downloading the September version.

Hi, thank you for your solution. The DB2 connection issue is prevented within the Sep 2022 version of PowerBI Desktop. But when I published it, try to set auto refresh schedul, it raises the same error code "HISMPCB0002 In BasePrimitiveConverter the SetCodePage method has been called with a invalid codepage: 937". Would you have any advice on this?

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @MA_guy_VER 

1. You may try to update the power bi desktop to latest version and try it again,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

2. Please try starting Power BI as Administrator.

For more information, you can refer to :

Power Query IBM Db2 database connector - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi, thank you for your solution. The DB2 connection issue is prevented within the Sep 2022 version of PowerBI Desktop. But when I published it, try to set auto refresh schedul, it raises the same error code "HISMPCB0002 In BasePrimitiveConverter the SetCodePage method has been called with a invalid codepage: 937". Would you have any advice on this?

Run as Administrator worked for me.  (Did not work, had to install the Sept 2022 version.)

Running as Admin made no difference in my case. Rolling back to Sept 2022 version was the only thing that got me up and running again.

Even is running as Admin worked, this is not a solution. While I am a domain adminstrator so my loging can do pretty much anything, I have many users that do not so this kind of work around would not help then even if it has worked.

Just to highlight - it is an issue with the latest version of Power BI Desktop (as of October 24th) - for now you need to roll back to September 2022 to avoid the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.