Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Empty table with a slicer

Is it possible to have a an empty table unless a specific slicer item is chosen? In other words, if a slicer item is not chosen, nothing in the table will apear, and then when a specific slicer is chosen only the specified information for that particular slicer shows up? 

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
chrisu
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I recently attempted to answer that in this discussion.

Basically you need a separate measure that evaluates whether a slicer item is chosen, then use that as a visual-level filter in the table.  Something like:

SlicerCheck = =if(calculate(distinctcount([SlicerColumn]),allselected([SlicerColumn]))=1,"Y","N")

Then user SlicerCheck as a visual level filter for the table and set it to show values when SlicerCheck is Y.

View solution in original post

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Yes you can do this however the table/matrix column names will always show!

I also suggest using a slightly different Measure to address what @KumarDarmesh asks in the Post referenced by @chrisu

Test Measure = IF ( ISFILTERED(Table[Column]), BLANK(), 50 )

Drag Test Measure to the The Visual Level Filter => select Show items when the value: is blank => hit Apply filter

The 50 is just a random number could be anything you choose!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
chrisu
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I recently attempted to answer that in this discussion.

Basically you need a separate measure that evaluates whether a slicer item is chosen, then use that as a visual-level filter in the table.  Something like:

SlicerCheck = =if(calculate(distinctcount([SlicerColumn]),allselected([SlicerColumn]))=1,"Y","N")

Then user SlicerCheck as a visual level filter for the table and set it to show values when SlicerCheck is Y.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Yes you can do this however the table/matrix column names will always show!

I also suggest using a slightly different Measure to address what @KumarDarmesh asks in the Post referenced by @chrisu

Test Measure = IF ( ISFILTERED(Table[Column]), BLANK(), 50 )

Drag Test Measure to the The Visual Level Filter => select Show items when the value: is blank => hit Apply filter

The 50 is just a random number could be anything you choose!

Is there a way to make this work by looking at 2 different filters? We have a Search by A or Search by B...Can I make it so that if either is searched, then it would populate the table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Need help on updating the below measure.

I want to display a static message like "Please select  ReportDate" when it is blank. how do i update the measure ?

SlicerCheck = IF ( ISFILTERED(TrendTable[ReportDate]), BLANK(), 10 )

Thanks.

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hey @Sean, I ended up using @Anonymous's suggestion (you referenced this suggestion in a related topic here) since it gets to the issue of making ONE selection.  If there are multiple boxes checked, the slicer check is N.  These solutions are very clever.  Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.