Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Empty slicer

Hi everyone. I seem to be having a problem with one of my slicers. Everything used to work perfectly (no changes done to the data or visuals) and suddenly one of my slicers is giving me an empty dropdown list. I know this has also been discussed in another thread, but the solution described there doesn't seem to work for me. It looks like a bug but I need to know if anyone else has encountered this and found a workaround. It would be much appreciated.

Below you can see some screenshots and details:

If any year other than 2021 is selected, the dropdown list of the Name slicer turns out empty. Moreover, if I multiple select a few years (including 2021), the list is no longer empty and the visuals react accordingly and the calculations turn out to be ok. If multiple years are selected but not including 2021, the list is empty again. The data is there. I can build visuals with it (charts, tables etc.). The problem is only with the Name slicer:

Capture2.PNGCapture.PNG

If 2021 is selected, I can see the list:

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

I also tried selecting something from the name list and then changing the year and the result is the following:

Capture5.PNGCapture6.PNG

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

its hard to understand what the problem is without

1. seeing how you have your model tables related to each other

2. understand what data is in your model.  you will need to share more information to solve this issue.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Use Performance Analyzer to get the DAX code for the slicer, both with and without 2021 selected, and look at it in DAX Studio. That should tell you what filters are being applied, and it will let you run the query. If the query without 2021 returns values then its definitely a bug in Power BI, but if it doesn't return any values then it will let you play with the filters and try and work out what is going wrong.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.