Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

jeffrey_b_reed

Dynamic runtime query support

Does Power BI support dynamic runtime queries of REST APIs?

Some data sources are too large to download and embed into the dashboard.  I'm looking for way to do a dynamic lookup based on user feedback at runtime.

Examples:

1.  Lookup specific store details by zip code (inventory look up like Amazon/Yelp)

2.  Look up individual user or account details (common customer support scenario)

3.  Look up purchase history for individual user (Amazon or customer support type scenario)

SSRS and other tools support this by allowing SQL queries or REST APIs to be called with dynamic parameters at runtime.

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Microsoft Employee
Microsoft Employee

@jeffrey_b_reed

The slicer in DirectQuery mode in Power BI desktop works somewhat like the parameters in SSRS connecting to a database.
Regarding calling APIs with dynamic parameters, AFAIK, it is not supported so far.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jeffrey_b_reed I don't think power bi supports that yet. It would be awesome for it to do that. Submit that as an idea and ill vote for it as well. All the data needs to be pre-populated before adding it to the visuals. Having said that I can think of something where you can implement that at data source level for example sql server. In power bi connect to your data source via directquery (connected live). As you interact with visuals in power bi queries are sent to be executed to data source and in there you can have lookups to APIs. I guess it is somewhat closer to what you want but exactly not. What do you think ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors