Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Viraj1995
Regular Visitor

Dynamic Column Name (M/PowerQuery) Difficulty

Hi all,

I am importing many files (with the same structure from a folder). These files automatically append to each other.

I required to change  one of the column names based on it's index position. (as when new files are added to the folder I can't be certain the same file is going to be taken as the first file. This could lead to the column header name to being different.

= Table.RenameColumns(#"Promoted Headers",{{Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"){28}, "--1"}})

I succesfully changed the column header name. Everything is good up until this point! 

However, if the column name is already --1. (The name I am trying to change to) PowerBI will return an error saying:

Expression.Error: The field '--1' already exists in the record.
Details:
Name=--1
Value=

I considered using a conditional formula inside of this where I would say If = -1, take the previous query. This isn't working and even if it is, I need to replicate this rename column for 5 columns. I can't take the previous query because it depends on which ones worked.

Sorry If this isn't clear, I can try clarify if the question again.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solution:
When you import fikes from Share point a sample file is created. You can set which file you like to be selected as your first query.

I can now ensure my first query containta the relevant headers 🙂

(For the if statement, I still cant set the word as it will say you already have this word)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Viraj1995 ,

Could you please tell us what's the problem you meet when using the if function?

Best Regards,

Teige

Solution:
When you import fikes from Share point a sample file is created. You can set which file you like to be selected as your first query.

I can now ensure my first query containta the relevant headers 🙂

(For the if statement, I still cant set the word as it will say you already have this word)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.