Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vexander
Frequent Visitor

Duration in Query Section but not in

I have seen this solution, listed here, but want to know, when is there a duration type for a column in the Power Query Editor, but this does not translate to the Visualisatoon.

WHen I am in power Query editor I can calculate a duration, e.g. my DB gives the duration of 0.23928, which I calculate to   (0.23928*60)/1440 = 0.00997 which I convert to a duration and get 0:00:14:21:408.  But when I close and apply, the value that is displayed is 0.00997

The reason I don't want to use the solution I referenced above is because I need to calculate a total duration a support call and the solution cannot be agregated.

I have seen posts saying that PBI does not support duration, if that is the case, why can I use it in the Power Query Editor

Thanx you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vexander,

AFAIK, power bi not support duration type, you can't use it in data model.
In my opinion, you can try to use duration function to transform them to total second or split to multiple columns with time unit.

Duration.TotalDays Returns the total magnitude of days from a Duration value.
Duration.TotalHours Returns the total magnitude of hours from a Duration value.
Duration.TotalMinutes Returns the total magnitude of minutes from a Duration value.
Duration.TotalSeconds Returns the total magnitude of seconds from a duration value.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vexander,

AFAIK, power bi not support duration type, you can't use it in data model.
In my opinion, you can try to use duration function to transform them to total second or split to multiple columns with time unit.

Duration.TotalDays Returns the total magnitude of days from a Duration value.
Duration.TotalHours Returns the total magnitude of hours from a Duration value.
Duration.TotalMinutes Returns the total magnitude of minutes from a Duration value.
Duration.TotalSeconds Returns the total magnitude of seconds from a duration value.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-shex-msft That is not quite what I would like to see, but I guess for not it will have to do for now, thank you.

I

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.